-------- Original Message --------
*Information Technology **Technical Associate (**Digital Library
*University of Illinois at Chicago, Library Systems*
With general supervision, support the Library's goal to provide quality
resources and expertise to students, faculty and staff by designing
information, research and storage systems. Reports to the Assistant
University Librarian for Information Technology.
* Meets and negotiates with stakeholders (faculty, students, staff) to
understand their needs and build information systems that improve
access to Library resources.
* Designs, develops, tests, integrates, supports, and documents
user-facing applications for stakeholders, such as repository
databases, research and online teaching modules, electronic thesis
and dissertation system, and the library catalog.
* Integrates Library information into other campus information systems.
* Maintains knowledge of emerging technologies to support the
Library's evolving virtual services.
* Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as
* Bachelor's degree (computer science, information science, or closely
related field preferred).
* A minimum of 2 years experience in object-oriented development using
Perl, Python, or Java and in developing applications that interact
with MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle databases using XHTML, CSS 2,
* Experience with HTML 5/CSS3; Web application frameworks; Ajax or
* Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment
and the ability to interact effectively with stakeholders.
* Demonstrated ability to support to a user-centered service in a
research-intensive, fast-paced, culturally diverse higher education
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Advanced degree in computer or information science, or ALA-
accredited MLS is preferred.
* A minimum of 1 year experience designing and maintaining relational
* Experience designing and administering relational databases built in
MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, or Oracle and maintaining systems to
manage and transform data in multiple formats (MARC, EAD, DC, METS,
* Experience working in the context of a software development methodology.
* Experience working with LAMP or variant environments.
* Experience with DSpace, Solr, and/or Fedora.
* Knowledge of information technology accessibility issues and techniques
* Knowledge of Semantic Web and Linked Data concepts and technologies.
* Experience or coursework in user testing/user evaluation.
* Knowledge of library practices.
*The Library and the Campus***
The UIC University Library supports, enhances, and collaborates in the
education, research, and service activities of the University by
ensuring that faculty, students, and other users have access to a broad
and diversified range of scholarly resources, both through its own rich
collection of materials and through collaborations with other
institutions; providing expertise; engaging in original research;
instructing students; and collaborating with faculty outside the library.
The University Library at the University of Illinois at Chicago serves
an urban and highly diverse campus of more than 25,000 students and
11,000 faculty and staff members, as well as the Chicago metropolitan
area and the State of Illinois. UIC provides a wide range of students
with a world-class educational opportunity and trains professionals in a
wide range of public service disciplines and is the principal educator
of health sciences professionals in the state.
UIC has a strong commitment to serve its highly diverse community. UIC
especially welcomes applications from women, underrepresented minority
group members, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority
groups and others who would enrich the University's research, teaching,
and Great Cities mission.
General office environment. Regular travel not expected but may occur
occasionally around previously scheduled events. Requires sitting for
extended periods of time, standing, visual acumen, manual dexterity and
fingering for working with computer key boards.
*How to Apply***
This is a full-time civil service position. For fullest consideration,
complete an online application throughjobs.uic.edu
<http://jobs.uic.edu/>and submit a cover letter detailing how your
education and experience meet the required and preferred requirements, a
full C.V. or resume, and contact information for three references to
[log in to unmask] *Friday, March 30, 2012*. Please reference *Job Code
CB1051 and position title IT Technical Associate* (Digital Library
Applications Developer) in the subject line. If you have any questions,
please contact Library Human Resources at 312-996-7353.
[log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
-- Robert Heinlein