**SALARY RANGE**: $51,630.00 to $67,114.00 / Per Year
**OPEN PERIOD**: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 to Wednesday, March 28, 2012
**SERIES & GRADE**: IS-1420-09
**POSITION INFORMATION**: Full-Time, Permanent. - This is not a Federal Position, but has similar requirements and benefits.
**DUTY LOCATIONS**: 1 vacancy(s) - Chantilly, VA, US
**WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED**: This position is open to all candidates eligible to work in the United States.
This position is located in the Archives Division of the Collections and
Research Department of the National Air and Space Museum
(NASM). The employee provides professional archival
principles and methods of appraisal, arrangement, preservation, and
description to acquired archival materials.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in
"Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
* Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
* Complete a Probationary Period
* Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
* Accesses archival collections and processes arrangements, descriptions, and preservation of archival record units.
* Digitizes a variety of images and archival materials such as, photographs, negatives, slides, transparencies, letters, diaries, albums, drawings, sketches, booklets, scrapbooks, ledgers, etc.
* Maintains metadata on scanning processes and image files in digital asset management database system, reference service and research assistance.
* Participates in outreach activities and other duties in support of the mission.
All applicants must meet these Basic Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in archival science or bachelor's degree with a major that
includes 18 semester hours in archival science, history and/or in political
science or government, and 12 semester hours in one or any combination of the
following: archival science, history, American civilization, economics,
political science, public administration, or government. OR
Combination of education and experience - at least 30 semester hours that
included courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or
Experience: One year of full-time experience equivalent to at least the next
lower grade that is close or similar to the work of this job. The experience
includes activities such as inventorying, arranging, and describing archival
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered
to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to
note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or Education: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education
leading to a master's or equivalent degree related to the position may be
substituted to meet the experience requirements. Or
Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic
qualifications; for example, a half year of experience and a half year of
education in the field may be qualifying. Special Instructions for Foreign
Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education
completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your
responsibility to provide transcripts and/or proof of U.S. accreditation for
foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the
"Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement
**HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:**
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications
described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be
evaluated further against the following criteria:
* Knowledge of archival principles and techniques.
* Knowledge of historical research methodology and the use of various types of records for research.
* Knowledge of automated archival systems.
* Skill in the use of computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Word, including digital imaging applications, formats, and resolutions for archival materials such as Adobe Photoshop.
* Ability to communicate orally for both archival and administrative purposes.
* Ability to communicate in writing for both archival and administrative purposes.
Important Note: Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to
your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for
consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher
than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate
to your described experience. Your resume should provide detailed information
regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including
the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/828/