>>> On 3/8/2012 at 10:02 AM, Godmar Back <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> My question is how others, especially pymarc users dealing with III
> records, deal with this issue or whatever other
> experiences/hints/practices/kludges exist in this area.
1) Get the library to have Innovative verify that their output table is actually set to export UTF-8.
2) Get the library to fix their bad MARC records.
I don't use pymarc at all, so I can't offer any suggestions there, but we did run across issues like this when we last exported our Millennium database. I used perl and yaz-marcdump a lot to identify, isolate, and work around the bad records. We fixed all of the bad records in our database and then exported them again and processed them as usual.
Most of our problems came from records that came from less-than-ideal sources or contained content copy-pasted from the web into Millennium.
We had Innovative convert our database to UTF-8 before this project and some of the these bad records just didn't get converted correctly because of how bad the character encodings were originally.
David Jones mailto:[log in to unmask]
Library Systems Manager http://www.scu.edu/library/
University Library fax: 408-551-1805
Santa Clara University phone: 408-551-7167
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara CA 95053-0500
"Blogging is not writing. It's graffiti with punctuation."
-- Contagion, 2011.