**Note: this is a reposting of[http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/801/](http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/801/) because the close date has been extended to March 23.**
An opportunity exists for one or more experienced software
developers to work within the team environment of the University of Maryland
(UM) Libraries in College Park, the largest university library system in the
region and in close proximity to the nation's capital. Visit the UM Libraries
web-site at http://www.lib.umd.edu.
Note: this announcement will be used to fill TWO vacancies.
The UM Libraries' Information Technology Division supports the library
automation needs of the University System of Maryland and Affiliated
Institutions (USMAI). Working within a team environment, the successful
candidate(s) will provide broad programming support to the UM Libraries for
the design, development, and delivery of Java-based software applications,
large-scale digital collections, and web interfaces. The successful
* Design and develop tools for managing production workflows, large-scale ingestion, inventory control and preservation of digital collections;
* Select and utilize appropriate software languages, frameworks and platforms for new and existing library projects;
* Provide object-oriented programming for various library initiatives;
* Provide web interface development support for digital collection management systems;
* Research and develop applications to interface with bibliographic systems, acquisition systems, reference and circulation systems;
* Utilize project management tools such as JIRA to record and monitor progress; and
* Lead technical development on some projects.
* Bachelor's degree in a field related to information sciences, computer sciences and engineering, or information management
* Minimum of three (3) years of programming experience using the Java language
* Experience creating web applications using JSP
* Experience using JDBC to interact with a relational database such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
* Experience using version control software such as Subversion or Git
* Excellent interpersonal skills; Excellent written and verbal communications skills
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at
relocation assistance will be provided. The University of Maryland Libraries
will not sponsor individuals for employment. You must be
legally able to work in the United States. An application
consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a
resume and names/e-mail addresses of three references. Applications will be
reviewed as they are received and accepted until March 9, 2012.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of
equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee
or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or
mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status,
genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are
encouraged to apply.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/834/