Discovery and Integrated Systems Coordinator
Librarian II or III
The University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks candidates for the
position of Discovery and Integrated Systems Coordinator. As the largest
public academic research library in Massachusetts, we are a key partner
in teaching, learning, and research at UMass Amherst and in the
Commonwealth. By combining the latest information technology with
excellent public service, the staff builds and maintains a rich
information environment, facilitates access to it, and creates a place
that functions as a hub of campus and community scholarly activity. The
Discovery and Integrated Systems Coordinator provides creative
leadership, supervision and management of various library information
discovery systems and services. Works in a collaborative, team
environment to support, maintain, and customize ALEPH, WorldCat Local
and other discovery systems as appropriate. Tracks projects and ensures
that approved services, upgrades, and enhancements are implemented in a
timely manner and tested prior to release.
1. Master’s degree in library science from an American Library
Association accredited library and information studies program. Minimum
of two years of experience in an academic library.
2. Knowledge of library technologies including integrated library
systems as well as newer and emerging technologies and their application
for resource discovery, access and management. Experience with Aleph
3. Demonstrated success on team projects consisting of librarians,
support staff, and programmers.
4. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and personalities
and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment.
5. Demonstrated proficiency in digital technologies, applications,
reporting, and utility tools.
6. Demonstrated successful supervisory, management and leadership skills.
7. Knowledge of web design and usability principles as applied in a
8. Knowledge of cataloging and metadata schemas.
9. Working knowledge of UNIX, XML, and SQL.
10. Working knowledge of Oracle, preferred
11. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills related to a
12. Ability to deal effectively with ambiguity, change and innovation.
13. Strong service commitment to library users.
14. Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
15. Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
The University of Massachusetts is strongly committed to excellence and
actively supports cultural diversity. As part of a commitment to its own
multicultural community, the Library seeks an individual with a
demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and
embrace University initiatives and aspirations.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH ADVERTISED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
APPLICATIONS: Preference will be given to applications received by April
27, 2012. Send letter of interest, résumé, and the names of three
professional references, to: Discovery and Integrated Systems
Coordinator Search, Library Administrative Office, W.E.B. Du Bois
Library, 154 Hicks Way, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
01003-9275 or email us at [log in to unmask]
For information about the University and the Library, and a copy of the
official job description, see our web site:
The University of Massachusetts is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer. Women and members of minority groups are
encouraged to apply.
ILS Coordinator, Five Colleges Inc.
[log in to unmask] (413)545-9612