The Ohio State University Libraries invites applications and nominations for
the position of Head, Digital Initiatives to lead the evolution of digital
library services and collections that support the research and teaching needs
of the University. The successful candidate will work collaboratively and
consultatively within the Libraries' Information Technology Division, as well
as across other appropriate areas of the Libraries, to provide vision for, and
build, a cohesive and extensible suite of discovery, access, preservation,
curation, security, repository, archival and storage services.
The Digital Initiatives program collaboratively develops strategies, and
plans, implements, and supports projects to advance the creation and
integration of digital library services and digital collections into the
academic enterprise. Key partners in this endeavor include the Libraries'
digital repository, publishing, preservation and reformatting, and special
collections programs, as well as other potential campus partners. This
position reports to the Associate Director for Information Technology, as part
of a division that provides web applications, information management,
discovery systems, and technical infrastructure. This is a tenure track
* Leads creation and articulation of an evolving digital initiatives environment in alignment with the Libraries' mission and strategic plan and with ongoing input from key stakeholders throughout the organization.
* Guides the development and implementation of digital asset and data management strategies, policies, standards, and procedures that support discovery, access, management, storage, and preservation of the Libraries' digital assets and resources.
* Works collaboratively within the Libraries' Information Technology Division to articulate and implement an evolving technology services environment; actively participates in the design and development of the technical architecture for digital library applications, middleware, systems, and services.
* Works with appropriate staff to create, maintain and improve the Libraries' locally developed and hosted digital services. Leads cross-divisional digital projects, expedites their completion, and creates documentation for project-related activities. Acts as a liaison for digitization and metadata projects with other teams within the Libraries and/or other campus groups.
* Transforms digital library initiatives through an iterative, data-informed, and test-driven process that emphasizes performance, sustainability, and usability.
* Maintains in-depth knowledge in the identification, assessment, and implementation of trends and emerging technologies that strategically advance the Libraries' mission related to digital initiatives and online scholarship.
* Engages in national and consortial efforts in the digital library domain, and seeks mutually beneficial partnerships and collaborations with peer institutions and in the private sector.
* Works collegially with all personnel to achieve the Library's mission and strategic goals. Participates actively in library-wide initiatives and serves on committees, project teams, and task forces.
* Contributes to developments in the field of digital librarianship through active professional engagement and research, presenting, and publishing in appropriate venues.
* ALA accredited MLS/MLIS degree or equivalent.
* Experience in managing digital projects/services and/or digital collections.
* Demonstrated ability to independently, as well as collaboratively, plan, coordinate, and implement effective digital projects, including managing multiple and simultaneous projects.
* Demonstrated success in collaborative problem solving and working across organizational boundaries.
* Experience with current digital collection architectures, technologies, standards, platforms, and products.
* Knowledge and understanding of emergent and best practices, standards, issues and trends relating to digital initiatives in the library environment.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written.
* Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Ability to meet the requirements of promotion and tenure; commitment to professional development and service.
* Minimum of three years professional experience in managing digital projects, digital services, and/or digital collections in an academic or large public institution.
* Demonstrated ability to lead change, and identify and implement new technologies, services and work methods; ability to learn and evaluate new technologies quickly.
* Competency in analysis, budgeting and planning, assessment and evaluation, and service management.
* Knowledge of the standards and technological framework for digital preservation.
* Demonstrated knowledge of current information technology standards and developments in libraries and higher education.
* Working knowledge of, and experience with, a wide variety of media including text, music, still images, audio and video.
* Knowledge of data and metadata standards prevalent in libraries.
This is a full-time, permanent, 12-month tenure-track faculty appointment.
Salary and faculty rank are dependent on qualifications and experience.
The University offers competitive benefits in the form of 22 days vacation, 15
days sick leave, 10 holidays, hospitalization, major medical, surgical-
medical, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, and life insurance at
2.5 times one's annual salary. State and alternative retirement choices are
also available. For a summary of benefits, see:
Nominations or applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Preference will be given to applications received by August 12, 2012. Please
send letter of interest with a current resume and name, address, phone, and
email address of three references to Greg Newman at [log in to unmask] Please
include Head, Digital Initiatives Application in the subject field.
Greg Newman, Human Resources, 305 Thompson Library, 1858 Neil Avenue Mall,
Columbus, OH 43210, 614-247-8887
To build a diverse workforce, Ohio State encourages applications from
individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women. EEO/AA
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1176/