Recently named to the eContent 100 list of companies that "matter most" to the
digital content industry, Alexander Street Press is an award winning
electronic publisher, providing innovative products to academic and public
libraries worldwide. Highly regarded in our field, we produce digital
libraries of text, image, audio and video resources, and create platforms that
enable academics to perform essential research in their disciplines. Our head
office is in Alexandria, Virginia but we also have offices in the UK and
We are currently seeking a Metadata Specialist. This person
will be responsible for ensuring that Alexander Street products are fully
accessible and discoverable through library systems. This role will support
high quality, cost effective discovery solutions that support the company's
business strategy. The role reports to the Vice President,
Production, and is based at our head office in Alexandria, Virginia.
As Metadata Specialist, you will develop, implement, and track Alexander
Street's micro-discovery strategy. Your responsibilities will include working
with Alexander Street's cataloging staff to maintain efficient batch-loading
and ILS script usage, sharing knowledge and cross-training staff to avoid
skills and knowledge bottlenecks, delivering monthly metadata feeds to
external library vendor systems, resolving promptly technical questions from
customers regarding discovery options, and testing and making recommendations
on appropriate retrieval and display of Alexander Street content in discovery
interface. You will manage MARC delivery processes,
including responsibility for MARC file output in library administration
portal. You will also set batch-loading procedures,
scripts, and reports. You will ensure that MARC backlog of
newly released content does not exceed 20%. You will keep current with
industry developments, standards, and competitive efforts, and work with
external partner vendors.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Strong organizational, time management and project management skills.
* Knowledge of integrated library systems, including batch-loading processes.
* Familiarity and experience with the library discovery landscape.
* Skilled in metadata encoding schema, including at least two of the following: MARC, Dublin Core, MODS, TEI, EAD, etc.
* Proven experience with cataloging in MARC21 following AACR2 and/or RDA.
* Experience with metadata transforms and crosswalks.
The following knowledge/experience is highly valued:
* Degree in library and information science or minimum 3 years of equivalent experience or education
* Experience with library discovery and access tools, such as discovery services (Summon, Primo Central, EBSCO Discovery Service, WorldCat Local, Encore, etc.), link resolvers (SFX, 360 Link, LinkSource, WorldCat Link Manager, GODOT, etc.), A to Z lists, federated search platforms, and electronic resource management systems.
* Familiarity with library- and publishing-related standards, such as Z39.50, IOTA, KBART, SUSHI, etc.
* Experience with configuring integrated library systems, open-source and commercial.
* Understanding of Perl or other equivalent programming language.
* Mastery of the principles of information retrieval, from indexing through query and display.
Please send resume and salary requirements to [log in to unmask]
Email [log in to unmask] to apply for this job.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1440/