Yale University librarians work in libraries across the Central, West,
Medical, and Science campuses, to build, manage, and provide access to a rich
and unique record of human thought and creativity. They demonstrate
flexibility, creativity, and imagination in their work and adapt to and help
shape a continuously evolving work environment. Yale librarians provide
consistently high quality service to the University, and help meet the needs
of the local, national, and international teaching and research communities.
The Yale University Library seeks an innovative specialist in digital library
programs to serve the Yale Divinity Library. The position reports to the
Divinity Librarian. With a thorough knowledge of Library software applications
and academic resources, the successful candidate will help guide the design,
implementation, and improvement of existing services and library technology
applications in support of the mission of the Yale University Library. Working
in close collaboration with Library IT, the Director of Digital Initiatives,
the Digital Preservation Librarian, and other library and campus stakeholders,
the Digital Projects and Technology Librarian will develop a clear,
comprehensive, and compelling strategic vision of the technological
infrastructure, and the bibliographic and metadata organization necessary for
the Divinity Library to participate in University-wide digital information
* Actively practices and advocates effective communication in all aspects of digital initiatives within the Divinity Library and throughout the YUL system. Establishes productive relationships with individuals and organizations both at Yale and at other institutions in order to advance Library objectives.
* Work closely with key staff to assess feasibility, propose, and develop plans for digital projects.
* Work with Library IT and the Director of Digitization Initiatives to design and implement technical infrastructure and workflows.
* Evaluate and make recommendations on digitization procedures for a wide range of collection materials considering issues of original format, productivity and preservation, as well as YUL standards.
* Analyze faculty and student needs and develop programming in support of digital teaching. Analyze the feasibility of new services or modifications to existing Divinity Library services. Work independently or lead a project team to improve Divinity Library goals.
* Work with usability staff to design and implement patron surveys to analyze faculty and student use of digital collections within the scope of the Library's digital landscape.
* Work with faculty to identify gaps in institutional collection content and facilitate the development of new digital content by coordinating requests for digitization or discovering sources of new material in the Library's collections (print or digital).
* Plan and conduct presentations, demonstrations, or workshops for students, faculty, or Library staff on any topic related to digital teaching using the Library's collections.
* Within a shared information environment, document software use, procedures, and services.
* Contribute to best practices evaluation, development and documentation in digital library initiatives. Remain alert to development sin digital library initiatives at peer institutions.
* Assume full or partial responsibility in project management for Divinity Library digital initiatives, including assessment and evaluation of project scope, analysis, project proposals, quality assurance, workflows, staffing, budgeting, documentation, and reporting.
* Contribute to preparation of project grant proposals for submission to the library administration and/or to external funding agencies.
* Provides strategic and tactical analysis concerning the Divinity Library's technology and digital production requirements, infrastructure, and goals, based on a strong understanding of technological trends of audio, video, and image formats and the higher education environment.
* Evaluate, recommend, and assist with digitization equipment and software selection as well as facility oversight, including staff and patron workstations located in the Divinity Library.
* Train staff on use of appropriate digital content creation and editing tools and software programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, audio and video editing software, and infrastructure programs developed locally by Library IT staff.
* Creates and/or maintains selected Web sites using SHTML, ASP, PhP, or other scripting languages and with content management systems such as Drupal.
* Fulfills requests for Divinity Library digital assets and oversees digital rights management.
* Serves on various Divinity Library, Yale University Library, and Yale University committees in support of the Library and University's mission relevant to digital initiatives.
* Participates in professional activities outside of Yale and monitors developments and best practices elsewhere to help ensure the excellence of the Divinity Library's technology activities.
* May be required to assist with disaster recovery efforts.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Master's degree in Library Science from an American Library Association
accredited Library school and two years of related experience. In selected
instances, a post-graduate degree in a related discipline may be required or
substituted for an MLS. Appointment to this rank is limited to three years at
which time it is expected that the individual will develop necessary
requirements to meet expectations of performance at the Librarian 3 level.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Advanced degree from ALA-accredited program for library and information science, or information management, computer science, humanities computing, or a related field and a minimum of four years of relevant experience in information technology.
* Demonstrated understanding of a wide range of digital library standards and practices, including standards for media content, metadata, controlled authorities, and digitization.
* Project management skills, especially the ability to devise and achieve agreed-upon completion dates for technology based projects; ability to multitask and keep priorities aligned to objectives.
* Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills, especially the ability to convey and explain, to non-technical audiences, the importance and impact of technology trends and issues relevant to YUL's operation and mission.
* Well-developed interpersonal skills and experience as a collegial leader and/or member of a multidisciplinary team. Demonstrated ability to work collegially with staff, researchers, and colleagues.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* Appointment to the Librarian 3 rank requires a minimum of 5 years of professional experience and professional accomplishments appropriate to the rank.
* Experience working in a library, academic institution, or other non-profit computing operation.
* Advanced degree in theology or a related field.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of
a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale
University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and
true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide
variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and
educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational
facilities, and much more. Applications consisting of a
cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three
professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying
online at www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate consideration - the STARS req ID for
this position is 17769BR. Please be sure to reference
17769BR in your cover letter.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1454/