Modeling and Research Program
Many of the studies, reports, plans, and policy decisions made at SANDAG rely
on the agency's suite of highly-sophisticated modeling tools using data inputs
from comprehensive land use, transportation, and socio-economic databases. As
modeling systems become more robust and regional plans become more complex,
the demand for reliable data increases exponentially.
The Applied Research Division supports the agency's work program by gathering
and interpreting data that monitor the performance of our regional planning
efforts and that are used in the land use and transportation models. The Data
Librarian/Research Analyst will ensure the integrity and quality of SANDAG
data by cataloguing the data, their sources, and the optimum refresh
frequency, as well as finding new types and sources of data to meet emerging
Data Librarian/Research Analyst Role
As a member of the Applied Research Division, the Data Librarian/Research
Analyst will support a broad range of agency projects, programs, and
initiatives by improving data collection and maintenance procedures and
participating in the design and development of comprehensive, user-friendly
This is a limited term employment opportunity. The position is expected to be
funded through June 2013. Limited Term Employees are considered to be "at-
will" and receive many of the benefits of Regular employees.
This position is ideal for a data professional with a strong interest in
applying their expertise to the compilation and maintenance of information
used in a regional planning environment. We anticipate significant career
development will occur while working on the types of duties and
responsibilities described below and through mentoring and close collaboration
with senior staff. Examples of primary responsibilities include:
* Collaborate with project managers throughout the agency to identify current and future data needs to support the development and expansion of comprehensive statistical data collections used in regional planning projects and reports; examples of current projects include the Regional Comprehensive Plan (RCP) Monitoring Report, annual State of the Commute Report, Freight Gateway Study, Activity Based Transportation Model (ABM), the SANDAG land use model (PECAS), and the Vehicle Occupation and Classification Survey.
* Inventory current data sets used by project managers; identify commonalities in the types and uses of data; make recommendations and provide input for the design of widely accessible databases that contain current, reliable, and consistent information and support multiple projects throughout the agency.
* Research and recommend best practices for maintaining, archiving, and accessing data sets; collaborate with database designers, programmers, and administrators regarding the development, management, and use of information resources.
* Develop and implement sustainable, reliable systems, methodologies, and procedures for collecting, organizing, interpreting, maintaining, and archiving information; prepare and maintain procedural and data documentation.
* Research, identify, gather, and compile various types of demographic, economic, social, geographic, transportation, and other quantitative data from various local, state, and federal agencies, the Internet, surveys, government publications, and other sources; review data for quality and accuracy and resolve data inconsistencies.
* Consult with project managers and serve on project teams to provide technical expertise regarding data needs for projects.
* Assist with literature reviews and other information acquisition needs for potential research projects and/or grant applications.
* Contribute to the development of innovative solutions designed to provide greater access to data for audiences throughout the region; participate in the development of new technologies, tools, and products.
* Respond to requests and provide assistance to data users, both within and outside the agency, with accessing data sets, understanding and interpreting information, and analysis.
* Assist with the preparation and archiving of written technical, analytical, and policy reports, including tables, charts, and maps to present findings and recommendations to technical and policy committees, Board of Directors, member agencies, committees, community groups, private organizations, and members of the public.
* Foster collaborative working relationships with local jurisdictions, Caltrans, and other public agencies; coordinate with federal, state, and local agencies to jointly develop data collection/transfer procedures.
Experience and Qualifications
Numerous factors contribute to an individual's ability to be successful in any
given role. For this position we are searching for a candidate with an
aptitude for analytical thinking, innovation, and problem solving who is
detail-oriented, organized, and can be relied upon to meet deadlines while
working on multiple projects. Exceptional communication skills, the ability to
work collaboratively to build consensus, and the use of sound judgment are
The minimum education, training, and experience qualifications include a
bachelor's degree with major course work in demographics, economics,
geography, planning, library/ information science, or a related field, and one
to three years of progressive career development collecting and compiling
data, preferably in a research or regional planning environment.
The following information describes the specific types of career experiences
that are most relevant to this position.
* Demonstrated knowledge of research principles and data acquisition methods used for compiling demographic, economic, social, geographic, transportation, and other quantitative data from various local, state, and federal agencies, the Internet, surveys, government publications, and other sources; experience compiling data for large, complex databases is highly desirable.
* Familiarity with quantitative methods of data extraction, analysis, and use; demonstrated ability to independently compile and document data from a variety of sources with speed and accuracy; ability to identify and resolve data inconsistencies and test for reasonableness.
* Demonstrated knowledge of best practices regarding systems, methodologies, and procedures for collecting, organizing, maintaining, and archiving information.
* Experience researching and providing input for the design of databases; knowledge of fundamental design principles for relational database management systems is highly desirable.
* Ability to assist in identifying potential privacy and security issues concerning storage or use of data and make appropriate recommendations.
* Experience participating in the development of information portals or Web-based applications designed to increase the availability of information to end-users.
* Experience participating in multi-disciplinary project teams and providing expertise regarding the availability and acquisition of data.
* Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to identify user needs, respond to requests for information, and effectively communicate technical information to non-technical users.
* Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively plan and coordinate with others, work on multiple projects, and adjust to changing priorities.
* Ability to draft/prepare reports that document research procedures and present research results including the preparation, analysis, and interpretation of maps, charts, and tables.
* Demonstrated ability to stay current with and share knowledge of new technologies that will contribute to the access, creation, and use of data files.
* Demonstrated ability to maintain and foster effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including other agencies.
* Demonstrated computer software proficiency using the Microsoft Office Suite especially Excel and Access, SharePoint 2010, and other PC-based applications, and conducting research on the Internet.
* Possession of a valid California driver's license or the ability to obtain one.
* The final candidate selected for this position must successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background investigation and driving record check. Periodic re-checking of criminal background and driving record history will be a condition of employment.
Salary and Benefits
SANDAG rewards the efforts of its employees with a comprehensive compensation
package. Competitive salaries are supplemented with a flexible offering of
health, financial security, and time-off benefits to meet the work and life
needs of employees and their families.
This Limited Term Data Librarian/Research Analyst will be filled at the
Analyst I, II, or Associate level depending on qualifications and experience
of the selected candidate. The annual salary ranges are: Analyst I - $43,958
to $70,332 per year; Analyst II - $48,463 to $77,541 per year; Associate -
$53,431 to $85,489 per year.
The benefits we offer include traditional health, dental, and vision insurance
as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. To
support the need to rest and rejuvenate, employees are provided with a bank of
paid time off in addition to paid holidays. Contributions to financial
security are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1494/