Reporting to the Head of Collections, and working as a member of the
Collections team, this position is responsible for providing a full range of
archival services, including collection development and care, contributing to
the ongoing development and implementation of relevant policy and procedures
in collections management and public service, and participating in specific
initiatives relating to collections management software and the digitization
of archival records.
* Facilitate archival acquisition and appraisal, arrangement and description.
* Provide archival reference, access and advisory services to internal and external clients
* Strengthen access to archival resources through enhanced control, arrangement and description of archival holdings.
* Ensure archival holdings are managed according to professional standards
* Provide support to digitization initiatives by contributing archival content.
* Support and encourage the use of archival resources for research and other museum programs.
* Use and contribute data to the CMHR collections management software (MINISIS) and, as appropriate, take part in implementing new features and modules.
* Participate in the cross-functional teams and task forces as appropriate.
* Pursue private sector acquisitions that fit the collections mandate of the CMHR.
* Liaise with records management staff to identify corporate records of archival value.
* Supervise archival interns
Qualifications:Requirements for this position are as
Skills and Knowledge - Required
* Master's degree in Archival Studies or Library & Information Science with a major concentration in archives and minimum 3 years' experience as an archivist, or equivalent combination of education and experience
* Capable of carrying out a wide range of archival activities such as acquisition, arrangement, description, reference services, and outreach projects such as the development of exhibits
* Experience applying the theory and practice of archival science to digital collections
* Experience working with sound and moving image collections
* Knowledge of copyright and intellectual property principles and their application in a museum setting
* Working knowledge of archival descriptive standards (RAD & ISAD-G)
* Strong written and oral communication skills
Skills and Knowledge - Desired
* Practical experience in working with digital materials, including digital preservation and digital collections policy development
* Experience working within a museum and/or art gallery setting
* Experience working with MINISIS collections management software
* Experience working with oral history collections
* Experience providing leadership to junior staff
* Knowledge of basic preservation methods
* Specialization in a subject area that pertains to the mission and mandate of the museum (e.g., a background in political science, public history, human rights, etc.)
* Corporate records management experience
* The ability to work in both official languages
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1528/