The Wayne State University Library System seeks an energetic, service-oriented
and self-directed individual to serve as Discovery/Metadata Librarian on our
talented team of professionals. If your skills match those we've listed and
you have a passion for innovative resources and services we encourage you to
**Essential Job Functions:**
● Manage and contribute cataloging and metadata for archival, digital, and
● Assist in the management of discovery resources, including the library
articles & databases list, EZProxy, electronic resource management records,
and the EDS discovery layer.
● Collaborate with members of various library units to describe digital
objects and create metadata formats appropriate to the delivery platforms,
which may include the Millennium ILS, DLXS image server, Luna imaging system,
and other systems as required.
● Manage and develop standards for WSU digital collections metadata and
● Manage cataloging and technical services documentation, and promote
knowledge transfer and training for the cataloging and technical services
● Provide support for the library institutional repository and depositing
● Create Encoded Archival Description (EAD) finding aids and associated style
sheets (XSLT) for WSU archival collections.
● Participate in library teams and special projects related to cataloging,
digital projects, and bibliographic control.
● Maintain knowledge of and participate in national and international
developments in metadata standards, cataloging, bibliographic and authority
control, and tools and techniques for creating, managing, and delivering
● Participate in conferences and contribute to the profession through
presentations, poster sessions, teaching and if desired, publications.
● Masters degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited
● Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work well as
part of a team.
● Ability to think critically in analyzing problems and developing resourceful
● Evidence of progressively responsible experience in metadata processing,
cataloging and database management in a University setting.
● Experience with XML editors, XSLT transformations, and metadata creation
software such as Archivists Toolkit desired.
● Working knowledge of OCLC and WorldCat, and professional understanding and
knowledge of cataloging procedures and principles including: MARC exchange
format, AACR2, LCSH, LC Classification, MARC21.
● Experience with authority work, and both original and copy cataloging.
● Experience with non-marc metadata schemas, standards, and best-practices
including EAD, TEI, Dublin Core, VRA Core, MODS/METS, ONIX, OAI-PMH.
● Knowledge of the emerging RDA and FRBR standards.
● Strong skills in data manipulation and associated applications and
technologies such as MarcEDIT, regular expressions, UNIX based text
● Reading knowledge of one or more non-English languages.
● Experience with the Millennium ILS Cataloging and ERM modules.
● Experience with basic web development and programming languages.
● Experience with EZProxy and the EDS discovery layer.
For information on how to apply please see:
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1618/