This professional information technology position is responsible for
supporting and maintaining the Missouri Evergreen Integrated Library
System. Responsibilities including
extracting and migrating data to the Missouri Evergreen system, maintaining a
Xen based VM platform for the Evergreen software, developing new application
features, and defining, designing and writing code for custom applications.
A high degree of interaction with people is involved; therefore sound customer
service principles must be applied while fulfilling the technical function.
Work includes a wide range of responsibility in providing high-level support.
* Export data from legacy library systems
* Analyze source data to ensure quality and completeness
* Manipulation and cleanup of source data to prepare for import
* Creation and documentation of scripts to facilitate import of legacy data
* Maintain and improve the Xen based VM environment for the Missouri Evergreen platform
* Maintain a number of Linux virtual servers that make up the Missouri Evergreen platform
* Maintain a number of Linux/Postgres database servers
* Build and maintain development, migration, and testing environments
* Monitor and respond to problems identified by the remote monitoring system
* Perform regular system upgrades and fixes
* File and/or fix bug reports with the Evergreen community
* Contribute to community development of the Evergreen software
* Develop new application features and improvements at the request of Missouri Evergreen libraries.
* Research, test, and validate operating system security updates, patches and fixes.
* Respond to computer security and virus incidents to ensure system integrity. Isolate and repair or rebuild compromised machines in a coordinated manner.
* Initiate tactical security scans to identify specific vulnerabilities or unpatched machines. Isolate compromised machines to ensure network integrity and filter ports as necessary.
* Provide advanced-level support on approved software and applications.
* Define, design, and write code for custom applications, utilities, and/or small systems.
* Modify or customize vendor-supplied software to meet needs.
* Perform systems administration duties, such as adding and deleting users, user directories, passwords and applications, and setting up network addresses, user accounts, and security access rights.
* Perform back-up or recovery procedures when needed.
* Integrate different computing systems for users if possible and when necessary. Address compatibility issues to achieve the maximum efficiency and functionality under conditions.
* Develop and maintain own knowledge of supported products. Attend training and obtain required software and hardware certifications.
* Create, plan, test, implement, and document projects to better serve users' needs.
* Consult with users regarding commercially available software, site-licensed software, or applications.
* May provide assistance in mapping out specifications regarding software, hardware, and network options.
* Maintain hardware information for inventory and service purposes.
* Document and order warranty parts for various computing systems. Includes completing paperwork, placing phone calls, packing and shipping defective components.
* At least 3 years experience (or equivalent education or formal training) administering and securing enterprise level unix systems.
* Extensive knowledge of shell prompts, scripting
* Extensive knowledge of Apache configuration.
* Extensive knowledge of one of more firewall applications (e.g. ip tables).
* Extensive knowledge of SQL databases (e.g. postgresql)
* Practical knowledge and aptitude in software development with perl.
* Practical knowledge writing in one or more programming languages.
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills- sufficient to effectively elicit IT information from users, train users in technical procedures/design, and document IT related procedures.
* Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with those contacted in the course of a work assignment and to participate as a member of a cross departmental project team.
* Time management skills and organizational ability for project management.
* Ability to work under pressure; meet inflexible deadlines; deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills sufficient to interact with a variety of users and other technical staff.
* Strong customer service skills.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
* Experience with Evergreen
* Familiarity with library workflows
* Familiarity with MARC records
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1950/