With apologies for cross-posting.
The City University of New York’s Office of Library Services team has completely revised the focus of the job described below including many of the job requirements. Interested candidates are encouraged to read the full job advertisement and to apply at: https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psp/cnyepprd/GUEST/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=6354&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1 .
Director of Library Systems
The City University of New York
555 West 57th Street, 13th Floor
New York, NY 10019
email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[Description: cid:[log in to unmask]]
Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title: University Library Systems Manager - Web & Mobile Based Systems Specialty
Job ID: 6354
Location: Central Office
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Manages one or more aspects of the University's Library technology and systems.
- Analyzes, specifies, and implements systems improvements and processes
- Conducts design and setup activities supporting University-wide Library systems and databases; assists in implementing upgrades and new systems
- Develops and manages procedures related to quality assurance for University Library systems; revises and maintains complex configuration tables
- Monitors Library applications and databases
- Creates, prepares, and analyzes reports on systems activities
- Works collaboratively with the Office of Library Services, Computer Information Services, library staffs, and vendors to refine workflows and develop useful systems tools
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: University Library Systems Manager
Higher Education Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the CUNY Director of Library Systems, the University Systems Librarian Web & Mobile Specialty is responsible for assisting in the planning, implementation, and management of systems and software supporting CUNY-wide library services. Installs, configures, maintains, and optimizes commercial and open source application software products and services for library digital projects, programs, and initiatives while ensuring developed solutions fit with existing library systems and IT infrastructures.
This position will also provide opportunities to plan, implement, and manage new web- and mobile-based library services and products, integrating emerging technologies such as cloud-based discovery/delivery tools and mobile library applications with other CUNY and local campus systems.
Additional responsibilities for this position may include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Plans, implements, maintains, and enhances web- and mobile-based software and services, content discovery and delivery tools, and reporting applications and interfaces to enhance the user experience while improving integration and delivery of digital services with current CUNY library systems.
- Develops and maintains online content management systems (CMS) and digital repository applications in order to enhance user experience, access and use.
- Manages the setup and configuration of discovery and delivery tools for local and remote library resources as a critical component of CUNY's integrated library system.
- Develops and manages reporting and quality assurance processes and procedures. Maintains and optimizes bibliographic reporting software. Monitors library applications and databases. Writes SQL reports as needed. Assists in the implementation of new systems and in upgrades to existing systems.
- Participates in meetings of campus librarians, convening/leading meetings as required. Coordinates collaborative intercampus library processes working with campus staff to design, develop, and maintain tools to streamline workflows and improve delivery of services. Aids in troubleshooting and resolution of library systems problems. Acts as a knowledge and training resource for campus librarians.
- Works collaboratively with Office of Library Services, Computer Information Services, staff at campus libraries, and vendors to ensure proper configuration and reliable operation of web and mobile services hosted on library systems and/or over the CUNY network.
- Supervises staff as assigned and performs related duties as required.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required; MLS degree and/or Master's in a related field may be substituted for a portion of the experience requirement.
The successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- ALA/MLS degree or equivalent degree in Information Science.
- Experience with integrated library systems (Ex Libris' ALEPH 500 preferred) and bibliographic utilities (OCLC preferred) with understanding of basic library functions. Knowledge of MARC format for bibliographic and authority records helpful.
- Experience implementing and managing content management systems and social networking applications that improve delivery of library services to campus librarians and end users. Experience with Drupal CMS preferred.
- Familiarity with Oracle, Sun Solaris operating system, and SQL preferred.
- Strong commitment to responsive and innovative service.
- Ability to master new technologies and remain current regarding trends in traditional library services.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people with varying levels of technological expertise, as well as to make technology understand able to the University community.
- Detail oriented with excellent writing, analytical, evaluative, and organizational skills plus strong presentation, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse internal and external stakeholders and constituents of various levels in a time-sensitive, dynamic, and customer responsive office.
$55,602 - $88,418; commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Upload a cover letter* and résumé as ONE DOCUMENT in the RESUME FIELD via our online recruiting and application system CUNYfirst at http://www.cuny.edu/employment.html
*In your cover letter, specifically describe your work experience as related to the essential general and campus specific duties of this position.
Current CUNYfirst system users should access their established accounts. New users should click on the appropriate link to register for an account.
September 10, 2012 (Previously posted as Job ID# 5457 - previous applicants need not apply)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.