The Ohio State University Libraries invites applications and nominations for
the position of Head,
Applications Development and Support to lead the identification, development
and integration of
emergent software applications and technology services that advance the
mission and activities of theLibraries. The successful
candidate will lead collaboratively and consultatively within the
Libraries'Information Technology Division, as well as
across other areas of the Libraries, to articulate
andimplement a cohesive and extensible suite of access,
discovery, preservation, curation, security, and
The Applications Development and Support unit collaboratively develops
strategies, and plans,
implements, and supports projects to advance the creation and integration of
software application services and systems for all areas of the
Libraries. This position reports to the
Associate Director for Information Technology, as part of the division that
provides digital library
services, web applications, information management, discovery systems, and
* Provides creative leadership, management and supervision for the WebImplementation Teamand the Integrated Library Management Systems (ILMS) Team. These teams have overallresponsibility for the Libraries' websites, web applications (both locally implemented externalsystems and internally developed systems), the integrated library management system (IIIMillennium/Sierra) and associated products, and other systems such as DSpace, Open JournalsSystem (OJS), and [log in to unmask]
* Collaborates within the Libraries' Information Technology Division to research, articulate, plan,implement, and support an evolving and innovative applications, systems and servicesenvironment that supports the Libraries' strategic directions, with ongoing input from keystakeholders throughout the organization.
* Leads in the development and implementation of strategies, standards, andregarding the development, integration, and support of library business functions, public accessand discovery systems.
* Leads cross-unit projects, expedites their completion, and creates documentation for projectrelated activities. Acts as a liaison for projects with other teams within the Libraries and/orother campus groups, as appropriate.
* Transforms library application systems through an iterative, data-informed, and testprocess that ensures performance, sustainability, and usability.
* Continually identifies and assesses trends and implements emerging technologiesstrategically advance the Libraries' mission.
* Works collegially with all personnel to achieve the Library's mission and strategic goals. Participates actively in library-wide initiatives and serves on committees, project teams, and task
* Contributes to developments in the field of library technology through activeengagement in appropriate venues.
* Responds to evening, weekend, and holiday emergency service calls, or duringdisasters, as needed.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field.
* Minimum three years of progressively responsible management and supervisory experience in atechnical setting, including planning and allocating of resources in a multi-system / multi-projectsoftware applications environment.
* Demonstrated ability to independently, as well as collaboratively, plan, coordinate, develop, andimplement innovative web and other software applications projects, including managingmultiple and simultaneous initiatives.
* Demonstrated success in collaborative problem solving and working across
* Experience with current web and information systems architectures, technologies,platforms, and products.
* Experience developing or implementing open source software and frameworks.
* Knowledge and understanding of emergent and best practices, standards, issues and trendsrelating to software applications and systems in the academic environment.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and in writing.
* Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Commitment to professional development.
* Minimum of five years professional experience in managing systems and software applicationsdevelopment in an academic or large public institution.
* Demonstrated ability to lead change, and identify and implement new technologies, services,and work methods; ability to learn and evaluate new technologies quickly.
* Competency in analysis, budgeting and planning, assessment and evaluation, and servicemanagement.
* Experience managing the software application development lifecycle.
* Experience managing an integrated library system, discovery tool, and/or other largeacademic enterprise system.
* Demonstrated knowledge of current information technology standards anddevelopments inlibraries and higher education.
* Working knowledge of, and experience with, a wide variety of media including text,music, stillimages, audio and video.
* Knowledge of data and metadata standards prevalent in libraries.
The University offers competitive benefits in the form of 22 vacation, 15
sick, and 10 holidays,hospitalization, major medical,
surgical-medical, dental, and vision. State and alternative
retirementchoices are also available. For a summary of
benefits, see: http://hr.osu.edu/hrpubs/ben/fsbensummaryreg.pdf.
For more detailed position information, please visit Please apply online at
https://www.jobsatosu.com underuniversity title Systems
Manager - NSAP from August 4 through September 2,
2012.Contact Greg Newman, Human Resources, 1858 Neil Avenue
Mall, Columbus, OH 43210, 614-247-8887,[log in to unmask]
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1918/