The Digital Publishing and Preservation Librarian is responsible for the
management of archival and access digital assets for the campus-wide digital
repository based in the Washington University Libraries. The successful
candidate will bring both a broad knowledge of relevant metadata standards,
digital repository and publishing platforms and programming to build on the
technical and intellectual infrastructure in place in the Washington
Primary content for the access repository represents targeted services to our
users and stakeholders that meet demonstrated needs: electronic theses and
dissertations, undergraduate honors theses, open-access scholarly
contributions from Washington University faculty, and scientific data sets;
archival digital assets from select digital projects across campus and those
created within the University Libraries. Support for original publication of
locally created online journals, conference proceedings and similar content is
an emerging priority.
Reporting to the Director of the Digital Library, the Digital Publishing and
Preservation Librarian works in the team environment of the Digital Library
Services, serving as a metadata resource for the unit and library and
contributing to digital projects as needed.
* Create and maintain workflows for transformation of heterogeneous data, ingest of data into the repository, and preservation of assets
* Develop domain-specific Fedora (or other IR) digital object models, develop web services and/or implement extensions to platform
* Consult on metadata needs for digital projects, and establish workflows for metadata creation, and in the digital repository implementation
* Documentation of technical processes, workflows and local standards
* Regular review of repository and metadata standards and best practices
* Management and training of student assistants as assigned
* Other duties as assigned
* MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited degree program, or computer science/informatics advanced degree, or combination of advanced degree and relevant experience.
* Project management skills and experience, especially in digital projects, repository development and/or digital publication.
* Knowledge of the development and maintenance of data repositories, especially Fedora.
* Experience with eXtensible Markup Language (XML) and eXtensible Style Language (XSL).
* Knowledge of and/or experience with three of the following metadata standards: OAI, EAD, MODS, METS, VRACore and/or relevant thesauri or ontologies.
* Good communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills; collaborative and interpersonal skills and customer-service orientation; team orientation essential.
* Knowledge of file formats and mime-types, and of data sets used in the sciences
* Knowledge of RDF and linked open data (semantic web) applications.
* Experience with data modeling for digital and research data collections and knowledge
* Experience with programming/scripting languages such as Java, Perl, Ruby, AJAX or PHP
* Experience with UNIX/LINUX, Apache, Lucene, SOLR, Cocoon, MySQL, Fedora Hydra
* Work experience in library, museum, academic, or relevant commercial environment
$3,472.67 - $4,514.25 per month
search for job ID 24326
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1947/