Reporting through the Head of Archives and Special Collections, the incumbent
accessions, arranges, describes and preserves the records of the university
other related collections including literary and historical manuscripts. As
part of the
broader public service unit at UNB Libraries, the Archivist will liaise and
collaboratively with the Electronic Text Centre, Communications & Marketing,
Media Services and the University Records Manager.
The Archivist will provide reference service and support the department's
instructional and outreach programs. The Archivist supervises student and
workers, managing the department in the head's absence.
* Master's Degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA‐accreditedinstitution with a focus in archival studies, or a Master's Degree from arecognized program in Archival Studies, or a graduate degree in History orLibrary Science combined with professional experience as an Archivist
* Successful demonstrable experience in archival processing
* Demonstrated understanding of the principles of arrangement and description ofarchival collections and knowledge of archival best practices
* Working knowledge of current archival metadata and descriptive standards
* Knowledge of preservation standards and best practices
* Strong organizational skills and written and oral communication skills
* Excellent computer and technical skills
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively
* 2‐5 years of professional archives experience
* Experience providing reference services in an archives or manuscripts repository
* Proficiency working with Eloquent Systems Gencat Software
* Experience working with MARC and RAD records
* Experience working with college or university archives records
* Experience with records management
* Knowledge of digital preservation best practices
* Proficiency working with Adobe Photoshop
* Proficiency working with digital content systems, such as ICA‐to‐Atom,ContentDM, Drupal and other web‐based platforms as appropriate
* Ability to lift and shelve boxes weighing up to 40 pounds
* Processing collection
* In consultation with the Head of Archives & Special Collections, develop anoverall strategy for bringing the University Archives and othercollections in line with professional archival standards and bestpractices.
* Arrange and describe collections in all formats.
* Use Gencat to create RAD descriptions of holdings
* Document workflows and procedures to create a processing manual forarchival materials.Accession new acquisitions.
* Perform basic preservation tasks on collections as needed.
* Trains staff in archival standards for processing and description
* Records management
* Facilitate the transfer and storage of inactive records to the archives frothe university records management stream
* Liaise with university departments and units to facilitate the eventual collecting of electronic records.
* Access services
* Provide reference services to members of the university community andother researchers in‐person, by phone, e‐mail or chat services
* In consultation with the Head of Archives Manages the department's
* Information Services desk including hiring, training and schedulingstudent and project staff
* Assist researchers in identifying materials relevant to their research.
* Manage the fulfillment of reproduction requests in analog and digital form.
* Ensure the proper storage of hold materials.
* Retrieve materials for researchers.
* Support the department's instructional and outreach programs.
* Help create and mount exhibits that highlight important aspects of thelibrary's collections, particularly as they relate to the curriculum andimportant university events.
* Support class instruction sessions.
* Participate in the department's digital programs and utilize appropriatedigital content systems.
* Help to manage and maintain the department's web pages within theLibraries' established standards.
* Create documentation, finding aids, and web guides for print and digitalcollections which promote the use of Archives and Special Collectionsto both the local and outside scholarly communities.
* Work with the other members of the Archives and Special Collections departmentto ensure the security of the collections.
* Prepare internal and external funding/grant applications
This tenure track appointment will be filled at the rank of
Archivist 1/2 with a
salary range of $50, 773 ‐ $74, 410. Archivists are members of the AUNBT.
This position is available immediately, pending final budget approval.
should send a letter of application, and t names of three references by
30, 2012 to:
Director of Libraries
University of New Brunswick
P.O. Box 7500
[log in to unmask]
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/2163/