Come join a fantastic digital library development team as our GIS specialist.
Stanford University Library offers an academic lifestyle with Silicon Valley-
competitive salaries. We have a large, collegial team, we optimize for
developer happiness, and we're very active in open source development and in
communities like code4lib. If you'd like to apply, you must do so through the
jobs.stanford.edu website, but feel free to contact me ([log in to unmask])
with any questions about the position.
GIS Software Developer, Digital Library Systems and Services, Stanford
Information Technology Services
Aug 3, 2012
GIS Software Developer, Digital Library Systems and Services
This position is double posted at the 4P3 and 4P4 levels.
Stanford University Libraries and Academic Information Resources (SULAIR) is
building an increasingly rich and complex set of geospatial information
services and resources to support research, teaching and learning.
The GIS Software Developer will lead the technical effort to develop and
support the GIS applications and infrastructure for SULAIR's GIS programs,
resources and patrons. The GIS developer will sit within and report to Digital
Library Systems and Services (DLSS) unit within SULAIR, and work intimately
with and directly support the programmatic activities of the Branner Earth
Sciences Library, as well as closely related units within SULAIR and beyond.
GIS Infrastructure Management and Administration (60%)
• Help implement and manage SULAIR's GIS infrastructure; this includes
administration of specialized GIS applications including GeoServer,
GeoNetwork, ArcGIS Server, and Open GeoPortal Rails (http://github.com/sul-
• Develop software for the import, management and remediation of Stanford's
GIS data collections
• Work with SULAIR's server, database and network administrators to provision
the necessary computing systems to support GIS services, including ESRI
components in GIS labs.
Web Application Development (30%)
• Adopt, adapt, develop and maintain software to provide a Web-based
geospatial discovery and access portal, using open source technologies in an
inter-institutional, community-based, development effort.
• Integrate digital mapping and GIS data discovery into a GIS discovery portal
and/or SearchWorks, SULAIR's overarching discovery layer.
• Integrate (either directly or by supporting integration efforts of others on
campus) additional services into SULAIR's GIS environment, supporting mapping
and georeferencing applications, novel spatial visualization tools, mashups,
and integration of gazetteers and third party GIS-based API's.
Community Participation, Leadership and Consulting (10%)
• Play an active role in higher education and GIS researcher community;
represent Stanford in this community and the development of open source and
consortial service efforts. Consult with technologists on campus about the
best method to realize their projects' GIS technical goals, and adapt SULAIR's
GIS services and infrastructure accordingly.
Demonstrated Expertise Required In:
• GIS applications, tools and resources through at least three years of hands-
on management and development in a GIS environment. Familiarity includes
direct experience with both raster and vector resources, geodatabase
configuration and management, and common API's and tools (ArcSDE, ArcGIS
Server, GeoServer, OpenLayers, OGC standards, Google Earth APIs etc.).
• Software engineering in Web-, solr-lucene and database-backed application
environments, and experience in contributing to and/or defining the technical
architecture of complex systems.
• Ruby, and Ruby on Rails, both for application development and in engineering
an enhanced framework, including plug-ins, engines and gems, for developing
and deploying applications. Experience with other MVC frameworks or dynamic
languages will be considered.
• Scripting technologies such as Perl, PHP, Python, etc., or a demonstrated
ability to learn them quickly. In-depth knowledge of HTML and related website
development technologies and software (especially CSS and AJAX). Familiarity
with Java and object-oriented programming and concepts is desired.
• Relational database design and management. Experience both in the
administration of and implementing database applications for Oracle, Postgres,
PostGIS, ArcSDE and/or MySQL.
• Networking and systems integration in a heterogeneous hardware and software
(Linux, Windows) environment. Experience with imaging virtualized environments
(e.g., VMWare) is preferred.
• XML and related tools and technologies (e.g., XML schema, schema management
and databases, XSLT, X-forms)
• Writing solid, simple, elegant code both independently and in a team-
programming environment and within schedule limitations.
• Working collaboratively on a project from specification to launch and
production operation; and working with multiple levels of staff, and
colleagues at peer institutions and open source communities.
• Agile software development practices and test driven development principles
and methods, as well as best practices for software development overall.
• Curious, innovative, dynamic and thorough approach to software engineering;
interest in participating in community-based, open source projects, and the
technical, social and communication capabilities to do so effectively.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Masters degree or equivalent professional experience in Geographic
Information Systems, Computer Science, Information Science or related field.
• 5-7 years of relevant experience for the 4P3 level. Seven or more years
relevant experience for at the 4P4 level.
• Prior success in working in an academic environment desired.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1807/