Founded in 1923, the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent,
nongovernmental, not-for-profit, international organization devoted to
improving the quality of social science research and bringing necessary
knowledge to public issues. Its communications department works to promote the
SSRC and its mission through a public-facing Web site, branded publications
(both print and online), public affairs programming, and other communications
and PR-oriented activities.
The SSRC seeks a Communications Assistant to work closely with the
communications team on a broad range of activities. The ideal candidate will
have the skills (writing, editing, new media proficiency) to produce high-
quality Web contents while also being able to perform additional in the areas
of design/branding, media relations, and events, as required.
* Assist with responding to job requests from senior management and other SSRC staff.
* Assist with developing new Home Page features, including writing headlines and teasers and conducting photo research.
* Assist with new media projects, such as blogs, podcasts, audio slideshows.
* Tasks related to ongoing Web redevelopment and streamlining of contents.
* Assist with developing an identity kit with applications to all SSRC products, in print and online.
* Instruct SSRC staff on use of the style guide and answer their logo requests.
* Design graphic elements for webpages and online and print publications.
* Provide administrative support to the communications team, including: scheduling of meetings, both internal and external; maintaining a "library" of SSRC public relations materials and fielding requests for such materials; database development and administration; shipping; light bookkeeping.
* Additional responsibilities and projects as directed, depending on interest and capacity.
* Bachelor's degree (journalism/public affairs/communication background preferred
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Excellent organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
* Team player who is also self motivated and can work independently.
* Ability to juggle many tasks while maintaining a positive attitude.
* Knowledge of software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
* Proficient in website design/maintenance tools such as HTML, CSS, andWordPress. Flash a plus.
* New media applications (audio & video editing) a plus.
* Previous editorial and design experience a plus.
* Interest in new media technologies helpful: blogging, podcasting, wikis, etc.
**SALARY & BENEFITS:**
Annual salary of $30,000. Comprehensive benefits include health, dental,
vision, disability, life, and gym reimbursement; $1,500 annual tuition and/or
student loan reimbursement; $1,000 professional development; outstanding
pension plan and tax savings programs; generous vacation and sick leave; and
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1705/