Join a leadership voice in healthcare. The Massachusetts
Medical Society advocates for physicians and patients on various healthcare
matters such as access to quality medical care. Our
premiere publication, the New England Journal of Medicine,informs and educates
physicians around the world of cutting-edge research and advances in medicine.
Our talented workforce offers an impressive range of experience and expertise,
and shares an ongoing commitment to enhance the quality of medical care.
Developer, Content Systems
As a member of our IT team, you will work with product leads and
implementation teams to meet business needs and priorities.
You will focus on the lifecycle and workflow of a variety of NEJM Group XML
publications to ensure timely publication of content to online, mobile, and
print channels. You will also develop and implement content
services that create, process and deliver the New England Journal of Medicine,
and Journal Watch publications to editorial and customer facing web services,
vendors, and partners. Responsibilities include developing
and/or maintaining editorial and digital publishing workflows, and editorial
document search and discovery service, XML document processing and conversion,
and content dissemination to all NEJM Group publishing platforms (web, mobile,
and 3rd party partners).
* Support and maintenance of existing Enterprise Java-based content delivery services and development of new services utilizing: Java, SOLR search engine, JBoss and Tomcat, Spring, RESTful services, the Hudson continuous integration environment, XML, XPath, XSLT, Xquery, and XML technologies in general.
* Support of XML content services for all Society publications in the MarkLogic XML repository and SOLR/Lucene indexes (utilizing XQuery, XSLT, and Java)
* Contributes to Enterprise and Editorial service management, code build process and management, code development issues as required, and contributes to quality assurance operations.
* Proposes solutions to streamline business and editorial processes to achieve departmental and company-wide goals more effectively and efficiently.
* Partners effectively with strategic vendors on co-development projects and integrated deployments.
* Assist in estimating and scheduling technical work, and communicates status, problems, and resolutions on projects and assignments.
* A Bachelors' degree or equivalent and 5 or more years of related experience in electronic document publishing are required.
* Experience creating and managing document-centric XML, a basic understanding of digital asset management, repository systems, and metadata best practices.
* Expertise with Java and Java related technologies, SOLR/Lucene, RESTful web services, and XML technologies are also required.
* The ability to work collaboratively, to communicate technical concepts clearly and accurately, and a strong understanding of electronic document life-cycles are necessary.
Specific technical skills required include:
* Frameworks and Tools - Significant experience with Solr/Lucene, JBoss, Tomcat, Spring, Hadoop, RESTful web services,
* Programming languages and services - Expertise in Java and Java technologies. Familiarity with .NET and Perl desirable
* Structured information standards and tools - XML, XQuery, XSLT, XPath, XML Schema, XLink, XPointer, Xproc
* Publishing and Metadata standards - NLM, TEI, RSS, Dublin Core, general electronic publishing metadata standards, general content indexing and discovery concepts
* Operating systems - Ability to work comfortably in Linux OS (Ubuntu and Debian), MacOS, and Windows
* Content Management tools - XML Databases, relational databases
We offer a competitive salary and an exceptional benefits program including
comprehensive insurance programs, a 401k match, an onsite fitness room and an
onsite back-up day care center. For additional information about our
organization and available opportunities visit our corporate website at
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/3361/