The Archiving Group, within the Post Delivery, Planning & Operations Unit, is
charged with the long-term archiving and preservation of HBO's program assets.
The Group operates the HBO Materials Archive, an extensive, varied, and active
archive of film, video, and audio elements that supports the network as well
as HBO's production departments by receiving editorial materials for both
temporary and long-term storage. The Archive is also a resource for ancillary
businesses utilizing our program assets, including HBO domestic and
international TV sales.
The Director is responsible for overseeing a staff of specialists, both on and
off-site, handling film, tape and digital assets on a daily basis as well as
engaging in long-term strategic planning for the storage, migration and
conservation of our analog and digital assets. Reporting to the Vice President
of Post Delivery and Archives, the Director will participate in efforts to
coordinate digital archiving and metadata strategies company-wide and set the
agenda for the storage, preservation and migration of both physical and
digital assets into the future.
* Responsible for establishing company-wide archiving policy and practices.
* Supervise a staff of seventeen archivists on two coasts and prepare & implement budgets for storage and preservation needs of the archive.
* Work with internal departments and outside vendors to develop and standardize an archival database for search and retrieval. Oversee transition to new database in 2013.
* Develop strategies for digital archiving and the transition to a tapeless preservation workflow.
* Direct preservation and migration projects for analog assets.
* Oversee storage of assets at facilities in U.S and abroad. Track storage conditions and uphold best practices for packing, storage and retrieval of assets.
* Advanced degree in library science/film archiving is preferred.
* Minimum seven years archiving/preservation experience, three of which managing a large staff.
* Strong database skills and familiarity with metadata practices and standards. Knowledge of Xytech and other media asset management software required.
* Knowledge of conservation and preservation practices.
* An understanding of post-production practices and digital workflows.
* Must be detail-oriented with strong leadership, writing and organizational skills.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/2509/