Systems Librarian DJ-24824, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center,
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home of three Nobel laureates, is
an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development
and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other
potentially fatal diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering
work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Centerís five scientific divisions
collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied
science. The Hutchinson Center, in collaboration with its clinical and
research partners, the University of Washington and Seattle Childrenís, is
the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center
in the Pacific Northwest. Join us and make a difference!
The Systems Librarian will serve as a member of the Libraryís staff, under
the direction of the Library Director. In addition to providing support for
general Library functions, the Librarian will, in concert with other
members of Library staff, administer various library systems and servers,
provide web development support and provide website content maintenance for
the Library and Shared Resources.
Manage and administer Library systems, databases and applications:
- Including, but not limited to Linux/Unix, Apache, MySQL, PHP - LAMP
- Keep current in trends in electronic Library resources and tools.
Communicate developments in, and promotes state of the art applications
of, electronic-based information resources.
- Troubleshoot and work with Library staff, users and vendors to resolve
technical issues (access problems, etc)
- Contribute to various resource linking projects.
- Maintain search functionality for Library and SR websites.
- Work with other members of the team to identify, evaluate, plan,
implement and maintain the online collection and tools.
- Contribute to the application/system that handles all vendor
information including, contacts, communications, licenses and contracts.
- Participate in the Libraryís annual budgeting and strategic planning
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the Library teamís
Sharepoint site (document library, workflows, ticketing, calendaring, etc).
Web Development & Content Production/Editing
Provide web development, coding and scripting support on all Library
- Maintain, improve, and theme the Library & Shared Resources
- Support development of unique Web-based tools and resources tailored
to meet the teaching, learning, communication and research needs of the
Library and Shared Resources users and staff.
- Perform coding/scripting to create and enhance the experience of the
Library/Shared Resourceís digital assets as needed (with, for example, SQL,
scripts), XHTML/XML, CSS)
- Share responsibility for installing, maintaining, and modifying all
modules and scripting in the Library and Shared Resources Drupal systems.
- Act as a web author/editor for the Library & Shared Resources websites
- Provide training and support to website users among the Library staff
- Create and edit image files as needed.
Metrics & Reporting
- Compile and distribute routine reports on the metrics / statistics for
various services and systems.
- Contribute to the Libraryís Git code repository.
- Maintenance and creation of documentation related to all duties and
Through self-directed, independent study and coursework, remain up-to-date
in relevant skills and competencies, and maintain expert user level
knowledge of Library databases, licensed content and tools.
Provide information desk coverage & assist patrons with Library use
- Provide training and troubleshooting service to individuals or groups
of patrons on any Library applications, licensed resources or tools
appropriate to our patron community needs.
- Attend various staff and individual meetings.
- Share responsibilities for the smooth running of the day-to-day
operations (patron service, facility maintenance, staff supervision, etc.)
with other librarians. This includes stepping forward to take on or
delegate responsibilities, normally owned by other team members in their
- Other duties or projects as assigned, either individual or as part of
- An ALA accredited Masterís degree in Librarianship (M.L.S./M.L.I.S) or
a B.S. in Computer Science with Library work experience, or 1 year of
experience as a Systems Librarian.
SQL, PHP, Perl, Drupal, Git or other version control systems, and
- Experience as an administrator of Unix or Linux systems.
- Experience with MacOSX and Windows operating systems.
- Demonstrated evidence of successful management of technical projects.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently manage a large volume of
- Accurate typing and data entry skills are necessary.
- Willingness to contribute to the overall function and progress of the
department, including providing service to library patrons via phone, email
and information desk.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, excellent oral and written
- Well established analytical and organizational skills.
- Team-oriented with a proven commitment or experience with
Desirable qualifications include:
- Experience with E-discovery and E-resource management systems (i.e.
- Experience with Drupal
- Experience with Sharepoint
- Experience with Google Analytics
- Interest in working with, and contributing to, open source software
and the supporting communities
Salary, Benefits, and Work Schedule
Salary DOE + Excellent Benefits. Full-time position.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please click on the following link and include
a resume AND cover letter: