Creative Commons is seeking an intern at its Mountain View office for 12 weeks
starting October 15, 2012. The intern will assist with data collection, survey
and analysis in support of the science program at Creative Commons.
The intern will be supervised by the science team, and also liaise with our
affiliates and other stakeholders as necessary. Assigned tasks will include:
* Creating a list of data-repositories categorized by country, discipline, and organization type
* Extracting a statistically valid sample from #1
* Creating a survey inquiring about data policies of the repositories
* Conducting the survey
* Compiling and analyzing the results
* Other tasks as needed
This position would suit currently enrolled students or recent graduates
(College, Graduate level, or somewhere in between) with experience and
qualifications in statistics, social science, or related fields. Knowledge of,
or involvement in, the free/open culture movement would be a plus.
If you are a interested in applying, please follow the instructions below.
* Internships are open to students enrolled across the spectrum of disciplines, but experience and interest in sample and survey questionnaire construction, survey implementation, compilation and analysis of results is required;
* Internships are open to students at different levels of academic study including undergraduate, graduate and PhD. programs, although preference will be given to more experienced students. Recent graduates may also apply.
* Experience creating sample data sets, formulating and administering questionnaires, and compiling and analyzing survey data.
* Proficiency in data analysis using spreadsheet/database, and preferably R.
* Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and across teams.
* Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
* Fluency in English required.
* Familiarity with open science, open data, and open licensing models including issues relating to copyright, technology, and creativity on the Internet a plus.
* The internship will last for 12 weeks starting October 15, 2012.
* The internship is a full-time temporary position without any benefits.
* Work hours are flexible, and to be worked out with the internship supervisor, but the applicants should plan on being at the Mountain View, CA office.
Creative Commons offers a stipend of US$ 400 per week, if not otherwise
covered by grant funding. If your school or current position offers a stipend
for work-study or internships, this factor is figured into the compensation.
This stipend may not be sufficient to cover living expenses in the bay area.
No other benefits are provided. Interns must make their own housing,
insurance, and transportation arrangements.
How to apply
If you are a college or graduate student interested in our internship program,
please send us your:
* Cover Letter explaining your interest in Creative Commons, in the position, and any other relevant experience not covered in your resume.
* Two References: Please include email and phone number.
Applications and questions can be sent to "[log in to unmask]" with the
subject heading of "Science Data Intern." No phone calls, please.
The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. PDT, Friday, September 30, 2012. Thank
you for your interest in our organization.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/3502/