You will serve as a Digital Imaging Clerk for the National Personnel Records
Center located in St. Louis, MO or at Valmeyer, IL.
There are 8 positions to be filled for Valmeyer, the remaining 30 positions
for St. Louis will be reassigned to Valmeyer, IL by the end of December 2012.
Whether you are new to the Federal Government or an experienced professional
seeking a career change, you can make history at the National
Archives. Our dedicated staff works across a variety of
career fields to safeguard the records of the Federal Government - more than
10 billion of them.
Visit our Employee Gallery at www.archives.gov/careers to see the kinds of
dynamic projects our staff are undertaking. If you want a
career where you can see the difference your work makes, then join the
For more information visit: http://www.archives.gov/st-
Who May Apply: Student Program Eligibles
Student Intern Program: This position is being filled under
the new Pathways - Internship Program which provide opportunities for high
school, vocational and technical, undergraduate, graduate, and professional
students to be exposed to the work of the Federal government.
Student Definition: Students must be accepted for
enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc,) in a
qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined
by the institution in which you are enrolled) throughout the duration of the
appointment, including awardees of the Harry S. Truman Foundation Scholarship
Program under Public Law 93-842.
Position Duration/Expectation: Positions will be temporary
not-to-exceed 1 year. May be extended in 1 year increments
based on continued need/funds for the position and the student's continued
compliance in the Intern Program.
As a Student Trainee:
* Incumbent serves as a Digital Imaging Clerk at the National Personnel Records Center. Duties include the following -
* Provide document completion, quality assurance, review for accuracy of document identification and perform document preparation on automated medadata extractions of digitally converted electronic files.
* Performs document preparation on textual materials to be digitally scanned into electronic formats. Removes staples, flattens, corrects bent corners of document, disassembles materials when necesary insruing that the original arrangement and scanning scheme is maintained. Prepares required bar code/separator sheets, and makes photocopies of document(s) to be scanned.
* Performs digital scanning on various media including: original, loose, textual records, bound volumes varying in size from ledger or smaller to larger oversize volumes, drawings, maps, charts, microform, and printed material operating a high-speed digital scanning device, as well as a low speed flatbed digital scanning device. Performs ongoing checks to verify that image quality is at an acceptable level.
* Performs reviews of documents that are digitally scanned into electronic formats. This involves classifying and identifying form numbers and types using established form lists and basic software programs.
* Identifies and locates data fields and enters data values, i.e., SSN, names, dates, etc. from digitally converted electronic files. Using computer software reviews and verifies that document completion and quality assurance steps were performed accurately and completely by the automated extraction process. Cleans and maintains work areas, and ensures that supplies are on hand to perform these duties.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/3491/