PTFS, a privately owned, Maryland-based company providing digital archiving
and library solutions, as well as professional services including
digitization, library staffing, and integration services, has an immediate
opening for an Archivist at a client site at Ft. Belvoir, VA.
The Archivist will have the following responsibilities:
* Appraise and edit permanent records, historically valuable documents and digital media. Participate in research activities based on archival materials and direct safekeeping of archival documents and materials.
* Analyze documents, such as government records, minutes of meetings, digital artifacts and non-profit foundation charters and assess their value to the collecting organization.
* Prepare or direct preparation of document descriptions and reference aids for use of archives, such as accession lists, indexes, metadata, guides, bibliographies, abstracts and microfilmed copies of documents.
* Digitize a variety of images and archival materials such as photographs, negatives, slides, transparencies, letters, diaries, albums, drawings, sketches, booklets, scrapbooks and ledgers.
* Maintain metadata on scanning processes and image files in digital asset management database system, reference service and research assistance.
* Provide advice on collecting activity by supplying available materials and information according to familiarity with archives and with political, economic, military and social history of period.
* Request or recommend pertinent materials to be collected.
* Select and edit documents for publication and display, according to knowledge of subject, content expression and techniques for presentation and display. Participate in outreach activities and other duties in support of the mission.
The candidate must have the following experience:
* 2 years experience appraising and editing permanent records and historically valuable documents.
* Ability to participate in research activities based on archival materials.
* Experience directing the safekeeping of archival documents, digital artifacts and materials.
* 2 years experience analyzing documents, such as government records, meetings of minutes, digital artifacts and nonprofit foundation charters.
* 2 years experience with document digitization.
* Masters' Library Science Required.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/3551/