This position is for a junior designer/developer to join the Digital
Repository development team at the National Library of
Medicine. The Digital Repository digitally preserves and
makes accessible content at the National Library of Medicine, including books,
films and images. The Digital Repository is a best-of-breed
system that heavily makes use of and customizes open-source software tools
such as Fedora Commons, Solr, Djatoka, NWU BookViewer, Tomcat, Java and MySQL.
This position is on-site at the National Library of Medicine, on the campus of
the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD.
* Create and maintain a stylistic home page for the NLM Digital Repository.
* Create and maintain stylistic pages for specific collections and other curated content within the NLM Digital Repository.
* Create web prototypes to evaluate layouts and new web technologies.
* Design web pages for usability and 508 compliance.
* Configure Drupal and the Islandora Digital Repository Drupal module to work with the NLM Digital Repository.
* Develop and adjust PHP code to customize functionality and integration of Drupal-Islandora front-end with other components of the NLM Digital Repository.
* Develop software unit and test cases to test system functionality and performance.
* Create designs and other software as needed to support the Digital Repository project.
* Store and version source code using the project version control tool.
* Track development progress using the project issue tracking tool.
* Document system administration, data manipulation, and scripted procedures using the project wiki.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
* Bachelors degree in computer science, mathematics or related field preferred
* Three or more years of experience in programming or testing
* Experience working with appropriate programming languages, operating systems and software
* Experience working with relational databases to facilitate programming software
* Two to five years of experience in designing web site and user interfaces
* Strong visual design skills
* Knowledge of PHP, XML, HTML5 and digital repository software is helpful.
* Familiarity with Human Computer Interaction, usability guidelines and 508 compliance a plus.
* Can keep abreast of and quickly learn new technologies.
* Strong communication, organizational and collaborative skills.
* Good personal computer and business solutions software skills
* Analytical and problem solving skills for design, creation and testing of programs
* Interpersonal skills to interact with team members
* Communication skills to work effectively with team members, support personnel, and clients
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/2349/