USC Libraries is looking for a user-focused, problem-solving, Library Systems
Programmer to realize its strategic goals related to discoverability and
access. Reporting to the Associate Director, Library Systems, the Library
Systems Programmer provides programming support for the technical
infrastructure of systems such as the Integrated Library System( SirsiDynix),
the Digital Library (ContentDM) and other applications-based services offered
by the USC Libraries. Develops application design specifications and
requirements based on analysis/assessment of user needs in support of the
mission and strategic goals of the USC Libraries and makes recommendations on
the software that enables services offered such as the USC Libraries Web site,
Homer, the USC Libraries catalog, and the USC Digital Library. Evaluates
existing commercial and open source software and participates in the selection
of software to enable the USC Libraries to meet their strategic goals.
Develops, tests, and installs new software applications for the USC Libraries
and enhances functionality of existing systems through customization and
integration with commercial and open source software. Implements tools and
develops code to ensure that data and metadata are successfully migrated from
legacy systems to new systems and from vendor systems to local systems.
Implements software to facilitate the transfer of metadata from in-house
systems to consortial and/or cloud-based systems such as OCLC WorldCat,
Serials Solutions Summon, and the Online Archive of California.
* Produces the required analysis and application design based on requirements gathered from users. Produces design specification documents.
* Uses the Internet or other resources to research solutions and locate commercial and open source software that can be used to meet organizational needs.
* Evaluates existing commercial and open source software for applicability in USC Libraries technology environment.
* Takes design specifications and writes code applying current standards and best practices. When working with metadata, applies appropriate standard in consultation with USC Libraries Technical Services personnel.
* Ensures both internally and externally developed software is thoroughly tested before release. Complies reports of test results and manages bug list.
* Trains users and programmers as required.
* Sound knowledge of programming and documentation procedures, programming methods,program flow charts and operator instructions as demonstrated through work experience.
* Demostrated experience working with APIs to develop applications for end-users.
* Demonstrated experience working competently and independently on complex programming activities including evidence of self-managing and prioritizing tasks and projects.
* Demonstrated capability to analyze a problem and provide the appropriate software to solve it.
* Demonstrated experience taking requirements and specifications to develop software applications to support organizational goals.
* Demonstrated experience communicating effectively in person and through writing with both highly technical and non-technical personnel.
* Demonstrated experience coordinating the work of others toward the completion of organizational goals.
* Experience working on teams involving end-users and a variety of technical staff.
* Demonstrated experience with building applications using existing database management systems and using SQL for data extraction and report generation from large databases.
* Experience developing applications to facilitate data migration and remediation.
* Experience using code repositories and bug tracking software.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
Combined work experience and education as equivalent
Minimum Experience: 3 years
Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Sound knowledge of programming and documentation
procedures, programming methods, program flow charts and operator
instructions. Knowledge of one or more appropriate computer languages.
Competent to work independently on complex programming activities.
Preferred Education: Bachelor's degree
Preferred Experience: 5 years
Preferred Field of Expertise:
Position Type: Existing
Special Instructions to Applicants: Your cover letter should indicate how your
experience is relevant to this position in a university research library.
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA
Requisition ID: 015810
Academic/Internal Title Library Systems Programmer
Division/School USC Libraries
Department: USC Libraries
Location: University Park Campus
Employment Type: Full-Time
Percent of time for Part-time Position:
Salary Range: 58,200 - 97,000
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/3642/