The Digital and Web Services Librarian is an innovative and service-oriented
librarian who provides leadership, direction, andexpertise
in the design and development of an evolving library web presence to enhance
the learning and skills developmentwithin the SIAST
community. This position will serve as a developer and
administrator for the Library website, webapplications,
social media, and mobile interfaces, and will coordinate and oversee ongoing
development of the Library's
web To further the library's
mission and increase and enhance access to library resources and services
he/she will sharein providing leadership and
responsibilities in the identification, assessment, and implementation of
The Digital and Web Services librarian will have responsibility for the
integrity, organization, and currency of the SIAST
libraryweb presence. The librarian will
also provide training and guidance to website content editors across the
library and createuser-orientated documentation and
reference guides to enable them to easily perform web-related functions; this
includesensuring that best practices for web content
writing are followed. The librarian
will: conduct training seminars and user
groupinformation sessions addressing website maintenance
and policies, use of new technologies, etc.; provide support for
libraryareas in organizing and presenting
information. This librarian also coordinates digitization
projects library-wide, works withother librarians in
setting standards for the creation of content and metadata, and represents the
library to other groups
position will conduct usability testing and focus groups to assess the
effectiveness of these services, will alsoserve as liaison
to program areas and is expected to work collegially with the library and
1. Provide vision and leadership in organizing and maintaining the SIAST
library web site and integrating it with the largerlibrary
web presence which includes program guides, search and discovery tools,
digital collections, and electronicresources.
2. Ensure that library web services and applications are tailored for targeted
3. Create and maintain a detailed map of areas of responsibility for the
website in conjunction with library staff;
establishguidelines for regular maintenance schedules.
4. Evaluate web-related trouble calls to proactively address issues that can
be resolved through means such as usertraining,
modifications to website management procedures, etc.
5. Evaluate site analytics and provide reports to the librarians; analyze
reports with librarians to make sure importantpages are
receiving enough traffic; suggest changes to improve visibility of targeted
pages or restructuring for betterclarity.
6. Evaluate and recommend new web services technologies to improve the user
experience in discovering, searching,finding, or acquiring
library materials and content.
7. Collaborate with library staff to create, implement and maintain web-based
library services, including online tutorials,Campus Guides,
mobile applications, etc.
8. Customize and brand interfaces of externally hosted library resources and
9. Support faculty in incorporating library resources into their instruction,
10. Customize and maintain the web interface of the library's online
11. Organize and support mobile versions of the library web site and catalogue
12. Provide advice, training, and support for library staff involved in web
13. Create and maintain documentation as needed.
14. Serves as a liaison to ITS on electronic services and web development
15. Serves as a liaison with Marketing and Communications on web site issues.
16. Design and conduct user interface usability studies.
17. Contributes to an active reference and instruction program, acting as
liaison to designated academic programs,providing
instruction sessions for users and some collection development.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
1. Masters of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school.
2. Minimum 1 years experience in website leadership or development;
3. Demonstrated ability to write concisely and effectively for the Web;
4. Familiarity with current and emerging library technologies including
resolvers, OPACs, federated search and discovery
5. In depth knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP, XML and the Adobe Suite.
6. Possess strong Instructional skills;
7. Familiarity with electronic journal management systems (e.g. Serials
Solutions products );
8. A strong commitment to service for students, staff, and faculty users;
9. Demonstrated project management and organizational skills;
10. Creativity and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
11. Demonstrates valuing diversity.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/3939/