The Nestle Hospitality Library seeks creative, enthusiastic, forward-thinking
candidates for the professional position of SHA Research Librarian. The
Library contributes to the development, implementation, and assessment of
exceptional research and instruction support programs in Cornell's School of
Hotel Administration (SHA). In additional to traditional library techniques,
this may involve creating strategies for data-mining the social web, using
strong quantitative skills to unmask trends in real estate information, or
helping to build new learning tools such as mobile applications.
Reporting to the Coordinator of Research Services, this position is part of
the Research and Learning Services (RLS) department. RLS emphasizes a team-
based approach to meeting patrons' ever-expanding information needs and is
responsible for providing research, teaching and learning, outreach, and
collection development services as part of the Hospitality, Labor, and
Management Library. The HLM Library provides services to Cornell's specialized
business and labor Schools, including Hotel Administration, ILR, and
Management, with over 1800 undergraduates, 1300 graduate students, 140
resident faculty, and extensive distance education, executive education, and
* Providing direct research assistance focused on the SHA community;
* Developing and maintaining an expertise in hospitality and business resources;
* Developing and preparing content to support use of library resources;
* Designing, teaching and evaluating instruction sessions, including working with faculty to develop curriculum-specific instruction programs, coordinating research support for course assignments, and applying information literacy best practices;
* Facilitating access to spatial and numeric data sources;
* Participating in the on-going development and assessment of the RLS department;
* Collaborating with key stakeholders in the HLM Library;
* Effectively using social media and web tools; and
* Participating actively in professional organizations, library and university committees, and scholarly pursuits.
* M.L.S. or equivalent graduate degree.
* At least 1-2 years of experience as a librarian, ideally in either an academic or special library.
* Experience using and teaching others to use library resources, including bibliographic and full-text databases, web resources, etc.
* Strong problem-solving, analytical, quantitative and critical-thinking skills.
* Ability to resolve competing demands in an environment of fast-paced change.
* Fluent oral and written English language skills.
* Strong collegial, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills.
* Strong service ethic and orientation.
* Advanced degree or coursework in hospitality, business or related field, particularly real estate.
* Subject knowledge in hospitality and/or business/management.
* Experience with numeric, spatial, and GIS data and resources.
* Mobile and related applications development experience
* Academic social science library research and library teaching experience.
Comprehensive benefits package including 22 vacation days, 11 paid holidays,
health insurance, life insurance, and university retirement contributions
(TIAA-CREF and other options). Professional travel funding available.
Applications requested by November 18, 2012. To apply for this position go to
www.ohr.cornell.edu/jobs/, search under the job category of Librarians, and
select job number 18776. Follow the instructions for online submission; only
online submissions will be accepted. Please include a cover letter, resume,
and the names, phone numbers, and addresses for three references. Salary will
be competitive and commensurate with experience. Visa sponsorship is not
available for this position.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4132/