I proudly report, that the preview launch of the new Europeana API has
The new things of the API:
- The API is based on Europeana's new metadata schema, the Europeana
Data Model (http://pro.europeana.eu/web/guest/edm-documentation). The
previous version based on Europeana Semantic Elements, which is an
extended Dublin Core schema. This new schema separates different
entities, and is close to some semantic principles.
- It is more close to the Europeana portal. You can access more
features (such as breadcrumb, facets, related items and so on).
- Based on Solr 4.0 and MongoDB 2.0
- We have an API console, where you can test the possibilities without
signing up for the API key
- Two month ago Europeana with the help of data providers changed the
right policies, and now all metadata records are licensed under CC0
waiver (you can find more, and details here:
http://pro.europeana.eu/web/guest/data-exchange-agreement). You can
find the API Terms of Usage here:
- The API registration process thus became very simple. Previously the
usage of the API were limited to a number of domains, so every API
requests had to consider individually. Now it is fully automatic.
- The limit of usage is 10 000 API calls per day. If you would like to
extend this limit, please contact us.
We also have a mailing list for discussiing API-related things:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?pli=1#!forum/europeanaapi, and an
initial version of documentation:
http://preview.europeana.eu/portal2/api-documentation.html. We plan to
launch is as formal API in five-six week, during that time, we will
launch more features, and improve current ones. Your feedback is more
I hope you will find the new Europeana API usefull. Let me know your feedback!
Portal Backend Developer