Artpace San Antonio, an advocate for contemporary art and a catalyst for the
creation of significant art projects, seeks a Digital Archivist to advance its
mission through the use of innovative forms of digital technology in order to
promote access and care for its extensive holdings of artist documentation,
video content, publications, and records that make up its Artpace Archive and
Resource Library (AARL). The Digital Archivist is responsible for the
organization's in-house and online archive, a public resource of information
about each of Artpace's exhibiting and resident artists, as well as 17 years
of public programs.
In addition to collection maintenance and assisting visitors with AARL's
archival records, images,and artifacts, the Digital Archivist will promote the
distribution of unique content online through Artpace's developing web-based
archive. The online archive is a key service; the Digital Archivist will
manage the development of Artpace's full website beyond its Archives holdings.
The Digital Archivist will be responsible for generating new online content,
converting existing media for the web, and integrating a searchable database
to cross reference project provenance, artist, and curator information.
Additionally, the Digital Archivist maintains the organization's Record
Retention Policies and Procedures in accordance with accepted standards and
practices and advances in electronic information storage.
The Digital Archivist reports to the Executive Director, is responsible for
managing the department's budget, and works collaboratively with the Archives
Assistant to ensure the archival collection is organized, preserved, and
accessible to the widest audiences. Essential duties/responsibilities include:
* Implement and advise the development of a digital infrastructure to ensure widespread access to the AARL.
* Manage continuing development and perform updates on Artpace's website, www.artpace.org.
* Ensure Artpace's website is an innovative extension of its residencies, exhibitions, and education programs.
* Manage and preserve physical and digital records, images, books, and digital objects.
* Coordinate the professional documentation of Artpace exhibitions and events.
* Provide access and research support for staff, researchers, and enquirers.
* Oversee the organization's Record Retention Policy and Procedures.
* Oversee the AARL's Library Exchange Program.
* Maintain and set policy determining best preservation practices, reproduction and usage fees, and copyright issues involved in digitization.
* Supervise part-time employees, student interns, and volunteers in various library, web, and archival tasks.
* Maintain the artist archives pages of the website.
* Write reports regarding AARL activity and functions.
* Carry out other duties as assigned.
* Knowledge of HTML, WordPress, and other web programming languages to manage continuing development of www.artpace.org.
* A minimum of two years professional experience in developing web-based archives, cataloguing digital media, and website development.
* Demonstrated knowledge of archival and records management standards, systems, and best practices.
* Strong knowledge of editing software such as Final Cut Pro or similar video software program (AVID, iMovie), Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro), and Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Word, Excel, Outlook).
* Advanced organizational and analytical skills, excellent attention to detail, and ability to work collaboratively, independently, efficiently, and proactively.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Knowledge of/active interest in contemporary art.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, information science, collection management, museum studies, or similar field is required.
* Spanish fluency desirable.
* Ability to lift boxes weighing up to 40lbs.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4167/