Learning Commons Coordinator
Information Technology Services
The University of Iowa
Information Technology Services organization (ITS), a campus-wide provider of
technology services for academic, research, and service missions, is seeking
to fill a Learning Commons Coordinator. This position will promote student
success through the integration of information services, institutional
resources and technologies for the University of Iowa Main Library Learning
Commons. As the part of the Learning Commons operations team, the successful
candidate will seek to enhance information discovery, collaborative learning
and knowledge building, particularly for the undergraduate student population.
Specifically, the position will be responsible for developing and coordinating
workshops, programs, technology and select services available in the Main
Library Learning Commons. To be successful, the right individual will display
excellent collaboration and team building skills, a firm grasp of educational
technology and the ability to deploy and coordinate learning resources in a
constantly evolving environment.
The position will be filled as an Educational Support Services Specialist
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include:
• Collaborate with core Learning Commons partners (University Libraries, ITS,
University College) to develop and coordinate workshops, programs, technology
and select services for delivery at the Learning Commons.
• Identify best practices in academic information delivery, technologies and
services and oversee their integration into the Learning Commons.
• In coordination with the Learning Commons Operations Team, foster and manage
relationships with academic departments, university administration and campus
partners to advocate for and create effective service and educational outcomes
in the learning commons.
• Collaborate with campus partners in the creation, delivery and evaluation of
student-focused academic workshops in the Learning Commons.
• Provide leadership to the Learning Commons Support Community; facilitate
• Work with UI faculty to ensure the Learning Commons offers tools and
training appropriate for their course expectations.
• Lead the selection, deployment, support and maintenance of technology in the
• Develop and recommend policies regarding facility use based on input from
support community, students and analysis of operational trends.
• Assess and evaluate the efficacy of Learning Commons tools and technology.
• Identify emerging student-focused learning tools and technology and oversee
their integration into the Learning Commons.
• Develop and provide technology training to learning commons staff, partners
and users as it relates to programs and services in the LC.
• Work with partners (ITS, Libraries) to develop technical documentation, FAQs
and knowledgebase articles pertaining to Learning Commons tools and
• The selection process will include a credential and criminal background
check on final candidates.
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience (typically 1-3 years) delivering, coordinating or managing
services or technologies in a higher educational environment.
• Demonstrated ability building successful working relationships and
partnerships with colleagues across the university.
• Demonstrated success in cross-functional teams or initiatives.
• Experience applying current technologies and social media tools in an
• Experience developing and delivering presentations to technical and non-
• Proficiency with Microsoft Windows, Mac OS and Microsoft Office tools such
as MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; the ability
to effectively explain educational technology concepts.
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new situations, tools and
• Demonstrated ability to deliver formal and informal training programs in a
variety of settings.
• Master's degree in Library Science, Education, Instructional Technology or
• Experience with technology documentation/instructions, knowledgebase
maintenance or technical writing.
• Familiarity with basic academic assessment methods and activities.
• Experience with iMovie, Windows Movie Maker or other basic digital media
• Experience evaluating new and emerging technologies or other instructional
tools and services.
• Experience leading cross-functional teams.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4192/