Reporting to the Assistant Director, Special Formats Processing, the Metadata
* Sets standards for metadata schema and descriptive standards.
* Documents best practices for metadata creation for digital objects, including metadata created by or purchased from third parties.
* Works closely with the Digital Repository staff to ensure that descriptive and technical metadata standards are embedded into the Repository's software and systems.
* Supervises librarians, specialists, and paraprofessionals who create metadata and MARC records (when necessary) for digital objects.
* Trains staff throughout NYPL on metadata tools, policies, and procedures.
* Monitors trends to ensure that NYPL complies with nationally-accepted standards and practices.
* Devises strategies for the management and coordination of metadata and related cataloging for digital projects not only within Special Formats Processing and other units within Collections Strategy (such as the Manuscripts and Archives Division), but also cross-organizationally with, for example, the Digital Imaging Unit, the Information Technology Group (especially the Digital Repository team), the Strategy Division (especially NYPL Labs), the Digital Curation Supercommittee, and the Cataloging Division (CCO).
* Works with the Library's curators and curatorial units and processing areas (e.g., Cataloging, Special Formats Processing, and Archives and Manuscripts) to ensure that descriptive metadata standards reflect NYPL's descriptive standards.
* Formulates metadata recommendations for digital project proposals as requested by the Development Office so that accurate budgets and realistic timeframes are built into funding requests.
* Consults with the Digital Oversight Committee for actions involving policy decisions.
* Serves as the quality assurance officer for all descriptive metadata for digital objects and collections.
* Works comfortably in a decentralized, production-oriented environment.
* Performs related duties as required.
* Bachelor's degree. ALA accredited Master's degree in Library and Information Studies or a Master's degree in related field preferred.
* Minimum of 3 years professional and supervisory experience.
* Demonstrated understanding of digital library standards including PREMIS, MODS, METS, DublinCore, MARC, and RDA.
* Knowledge of database structures and query syntax.
* Experience creating and editing XML.
* Experience managing metadata workflows.
* Experience training paraprofessional and professional staff.
* Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently.
* Experience in cataloging or in the creation of descriptive metadata preferred.
* Experience working with special collections or academic libraries preferred.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4444/