This position is responsible for the preparation and photography/scanning of
Arabic books using a Phase One book photography system (BC100) or a Zeutschel
14000 A1 orbital scanner. Additionally responsible for image processing,
editing and organizing digital files on Macintosh systems and Windows systems.
The successful candidate will compare and match bibliographic data from the
book in hand with the catalog record and report discrepancies. The technician
will analyze the logical structure of the volume and provide captions for the
sections of the book in script or in Romanized Arabic. The incumbent self-
manages and documents workflow from retrieving, securing and returning
materials through image capture, processing and structural metadata creation.
This position is under the supervision and the day-to-day direction of the PUL
Digital Initiatives Imaging Manager.
Those invited for an interview should be prepared to demonstrate their ability
to identify and transliterate bibliographic elements of an Arabic book and to
show examples of previous digital imaging work.
Essential Qualifications: Requirements:
* Reading knowledge of Arabic; Ability to Romanize Arabic script according to the ALA/LC Romanization table: Bibliographic skills sufficient to identify the logical structure of a book (chapter, sections, etc.) and match basic descriptive elements; Direct and demonstrated experience using the same or similar digital imaging systems as described above;
* Ability to work for extended periods in a low-light, color-managed work environment.
* The final candidate will be required to successfully pass a background check.
Education Required: Other-see essential qualifications
Preferred Qualifications: Preferred:
* Demonstrated experience digitizing library materials, especially bound materials; Demonstrated skill in using Macintosh and Windows desktop computer systems and associated hardware and software, including Adobe Photoshop, calibration software, spreadsheet and database software;
* Demonstrated ability to discriminate tonal variations and color fidelity of digital reproductions in relation to original objects; Demonstrated ability to work accurately in a detail- and production-oriented environment.
* Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary production team setting as well as independently.
* Good decision-making, communication, record-keeping, and math skills.
* Additional consideration will be given to those with experience using CCS docWorks software.
NOTE: This is a two year term position with the possibility of extension
Comments related to end date: Two year term position with the possibility of
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4566/