**Rice University** is a small private research university located in Houston, Texas, across from the Texas Medical Center. It has approximately 6,000 total undergraduate and graduate students and has a student to faculty ratio of less than 6 to 1.Rice University
**Summary: **The Library Web Applications Developer II designs, develops, codes, tests, implements and manages innovative and complex web-based applications that improve the user experience in discovering, accessing, and using library resources and services. S/he gathers requirements, writes code, maintains documentation and works with the Web/Graphic Designer on web design and layout. S/he is responsible for maintaining various local and cloud based servers. This position reports to the Assistant University Librarian for Information Technology.
**Education Required: **Bachelor's Degree
Computer/information science/systems or an equivalent degree.
May substitute additional related
experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year
basis in lieu of the education requirement.
**Experience Required:** 5 years
Five years of progressive work experience in designing, developing, coding and
maintaining data-driven applications. Three years of work experience in
maintaining Windows and Unix/Linux servers in a large networked
Education may not be substituted for the experience
- Experience in an academic library.
- Experience with search/library discovery and/or repository applications.
- Project management experience.
**Other Skills Required:** Significant experience managing sophisticated web and database projects in all phases (design, testing, production) to schedule and budget.
**Other Skills Preferred: **Solid understanding of current web standards as recommended by W3C including accessibility standards and cross browser issues.
- To work with open source products - Plone, Python, Drupal, Fedora and DSpace
-To design relational databases using any of the following - MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL,or SQL server.
-To work in a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or Tomcat environment.
- To work in Linux, Windows, and Mac platforms.
-Expert level HTML and CSS, with understanding of HTML5 and CSS3.
-Strong creative, conceptual, and problem-solving skills.
-Ability to manage and prioritize tasks and work in a team.
-Strong oral and written communication skills.
**Security Sensitive: **
**Essential Job Duties:**
- Design, develop, test, code, implement and manage complex web applications.
- Meet with users to gather requirements of project and plan and prepare technical design and qualifications.
- Work with Graphic Designer to layout user interface for project.
- Work with the Digital Library to assist on digital projects.
- Contribute to User Interface/User Experience and Usability testing.
- Analyze, modify and maintain existing applications.
- Prepare technical, operational and user related documentation in support of applications.
- Research emerging technologies to extend and enhance library projects.
- Work with Library Systems team to make sure applications interface with all aspects of library services.
- Maintain servers locally and in the cloud for 24x7 uptime.
- Administer, install, configure, troubleshoot, and monitor web servers as well as other library project servers.
-Other duties as assigned
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4674/