MIT Lincoln Laboratory has pioneered in advanced electronics since its origin
in 1951 as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center of the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The Knowledge Services team is
currently developing infrastructure for a digital preservation repository
system. As such, we seek a Digital Preservation Archivist to join our team and
direct strategic and project planning for our digital archives.
Under the direction of the Archivist and Knowledge Services Team Leadership,
the Digital Preservation Archivist will:
• Work closely with the Archives, Knowledge Services, IT staff, and other
experts to research, define, and maintain an ongoing preservation program,
based on best practices and established standards, for Laboratory collections
of value in digital formats.
• Work with Archives, Knowledge Services, IT staff, and other experts to
research, test, specify, and implement technology for a sustainable digital
preservation repository system which will meet the ongoing management, access,
and preservation needs of the Laboratory.
• Enhance digital preservation project plans, workflows, and policies for
archiving of and long-term access to the Laboratory Archives digital
• Promote the Archives and digital preservation program through briefings,
digital and social media.
• Recommend, implement, and provide leadership for proposed digital
• Provide training, support, and documentation for digital preservation
• Serve as an advisor for Knowledge Services, Information Services Department
and our constituents on digital preservation; including maintaining current
awareness of new technologies and initiatives in the field.
• Appraisal, arrangement, description, and basic preservation for Laboratory
• Support Archives operations and participate in other related work as
• ALA-MLS/MLIS and a minimum three years' progressive experience working in an
archival repository or library on digital resources projects in a leadership
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with open source digital repository
systems and related technology including audit/fixity software, file
forensics, media conversion, and editing metadata for digital objects,
especially METS and PREMIS.
• Proven experience with project management, outreach and marketing.
• Ability to effectively convey and explain information clearly and tactfully.
• Demonstrated ability to build consensus and promote the exchange of
information among project team members, project management staff and
• Demonstrated ability to work calmly and effectively in situations under
pressure and to manage time effectively in a changing environment.
• Must be able to obtain DoD Security Clearance.
• Experience handling classified documentation.
• Working knowledge of Java, PHP, SQL, and Web Services (e.g. SOAP, REST).
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4223/