This is a one year fixed-term position.
This job is being posted as part of SAL Newark newspaper inventory/processing
project to prepare all materials in SAL Newark for future scanning or
relocation. This part of the project is to process the East Asia Library
newspaper holdings at SAL Newark.
Identify conflicting information and carry out maintenance activities in the
Library catalog database in order to provide accurate, complete, and up-to-
date information regarding East Asia Library holdings of Chinese Newspapers.
Perform clean-up of records and special projects in accordance with
* Correct database errors identified from system generate error reports.
* Identify and correct problems relating to call numbers, access points, Newspaper record analytics, bound-withs, bibliographic description, copy/volume structures, and MARC holds.
* Online withdrawal of items from the libraries' collections.
* Update MARC holding records according to local policies based on ANSI standards.
* Modify database records to reflect transfer of materials from one library to another.
* Carry out duplicate holdings/records resolution through analysis of records and items.
* Perform other types of database maintenance as assigned.
* Perform copy cataloging and record upgrades.
* Supervise the work of project staff and temps, train project staff in accordance with established guidelines.
* Analytical skills required.
* Ability to adjust to changes in assignments, procedures and technology.
* Consistent accuracy and attention to detail while maintaining a high level of productivity.
* Ability to search OCLC CJK records.
* Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to work independently and as a team member with project deadlines
* High level of proficiency using PC applications.
* Good keyboard skills and physical tolerance for at least six hours per day of keying.
* Knowledge of Chinese and pinyin romanization.
* Proficiency using Java WorkFlows / Symphony integrated library system (preferred).
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4963/