Lead in the development and delivery of research and user services for online
and off-campus communities at The George Washington University. The person in
this position assesses the needs of students, faculty and administrators in
order to determine and provide instruction, outreach and library services to
GW's off-campus population. The librarian serves as a liaison to the College
of Professional Studies, the Teaching and Learning Collaborative, and to
departments serving GW's off-campus locations. S/he coordinates activities of
staff in providing library materials and services and will be the contact
person for library staff and university departments regarding services and
collection development for off-campus education students.
This position participates as a member of the Research Services Group within
Gelman Library and serves as a member of the Education and Instruction Group,
advocating for off campus and online student needs within each group.
This position serves on library and university committees as needed. Some
travel and evening/weekend hours are required. This position reports to the
Coordinator, Instruction Services.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Facilitates the planning, development, promotion, delivery, and assessment
of library services to students and faculty at off-campus sites and for online
• Provides course-integrated, online andin-person library
• Works with the Web Services Team, Reference Service Team, the Education and
Instruction Group to maintain outreach and instructional materials for off-
campus students and faculty.
• Participates in collection development to develop print and electronic
library collections to support distance education programs.
• Works closely with the College of Professional Studies, the Teaching and
Learning Collaborative, the Online Learning Initiative, and other GW entities
to assess departmental needs and identify opportunities for collaboration on
• Collaborates with Access Services, Resource Sharing, and other library
departments to develop policies and procedures for library services to off-
• Provides general and specialized reference, research and consultation
services in traditional and online environments.
• Travels to off-campus centers.
• ALA accredited MLS and a minimum two years post-MLS experience
• Experience providing reference services and/or coursework in providing
library reference services.
• Teaching experience and/or coursework in library instruction, information
literacy, or education.
• Experience with Blackboard or other course management systems.
• Experience evaluating and implementing web-based technologies for outreach,
reference and instruction.
• Experience delivering library services online, either synchronously or
• Demonstrated leadership in managing or coordinating group projects
• Demonstrated understanding of key issues, ideas, and trends in distance or
• Ability to work effectively with co-workers in a collaborative, cross
functional, team-based organization.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Working knowledge of standard computer office applications such as Microsoft
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or other productivity software. Working knowledge of
video creation tools such as Captivate, Camtasia, or Jing.
• Advanced degree in Educational Technology.
• Educational background or collection development experience in Education,
Engineering, or other field related to offerings of our College of
Professional Studies. (See http://cps.gwu.edu/academicprograms)
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5136/