Vanderbilt University Library is seeking a Librarian for a dual assignment
split between cataloging and support of our exhibits
program. As Cataloging Librarian, this position is
responsible for original and complex copy cataloging and other metadata
creation for Special Collections materials, using OCLC and SirsiDynix systems;
and participating as a member of the Cataloging and Authorities Team in a
customer-oriented environment. As Exhibition Support
Librarian, this position is responsible for setting all metadata and label
copy for exhibitions throughout the libraries as needed.
The person in this position will report to the Cataloging and Authorities Team
Leader and the Director of Special Projects.
Key Functions & Responsibities:
* Supports Special Collections by providing cataloging and metadata for their materials.
* Participates in library strategic activities by attending committee meetings and working on associated tasks; other professional development activities.
* Addresses preservation and processing needs for Special Collections by working with staff in Special Collections and Preservation.
* Works with Cataloging and Authorities Team to develop non-MARC metadata skills.
Exhibition Support ( 50%)
* Works with primary sources from Special Collections and Vanderbilt University Archives to write label copy and descriptions for case exhibitions and provide metadata for digital exhibitions.
* Acts as liaison for curators and exhibition team. Assists with management of workflow for the whole exhibition process. Curates exhibitions as needed.
* Collaborates with other staff, students and faculty as required, writing label copy and metadata. Assists curators with the construction of LibGuides for the exhibitions.
* Assists with placement of objects and with programs related to the exhibitions, as needed, including tours.
Vanderbilt University consists of ten schools and colleges with an enrollment
of over 11,000. The Jean and Alexander Heard Library at
Vanderbilt University has a staff of over 200, an annual budget exceeding $24
million, over 3.5 million volumes, 3.1 million microforms, and 55,000 serials,
of which some 47,000 are available electronically. The Heard Library includes
nine libraries, the campus learning management system and Vanderbilt
Television News Archives. The Library is a member of the
Association of Research Libraries, the Association of Southeastern Research
Libraries, and other organizations, as well. Vanderbilt University is ranked
as one of the nation's top 20 universities by U.S. News, with several programs
and disciplines ranking in the top 10. For more information, please see
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
are those applicable to exempt employees of Vanderbilt University, including
health care insurance; retirement plan options; tuition discount program; and
paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
This posting expires January 13, 2013: interested individuals must apply to be
This position requires a Master's degree from an ALA-accredited
Preferred qualifications include cataloging experience; knowledge of metadata
schema, such as AACR2, DCRM(B), DublinCore, etc.; web management and excel
skills; experience with exhibitions and writing; outstanding written and oral
communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with faculty and
Primary LocationTN-Nashville-Jean and Alexander Heard Library
Organization University Library 153100
For more information, please go to
[www.vanderbilt.jobs](http://www.vanderbilt.jobs). Refer to
requisition number 1215218.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5145/