Longwood Gardens Library and Archives seeks a graduate level student in
Library Science or Archival studies (or related equivalent) to gain experience
in the operations and management of a horticultural special library and
institutional archives. International students and recent graduates may also
The intern works in each section of the unit--Library, Digital Gallery, and
Archives--to develop projects aimed at furthering professional interests while
working to achieve unit goals. This is a 40 hour per week, paid position with
optional free housing (a taxable benefit). Longwood Gardens is a public
display garden located in Kennett Square, PA, 45 minutes southwest of
Position is available: May 15, 2013 - May 2014
Application Deadline: February 1, 2013. Review of applications will begin
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
* Perform basic reference interviews and services. Become familiar with, and able to train others in, using Longwood Gardens' EOS International integrated library system (ILS), OCLC WorldCat, Agricola, and other relevant databases.
* Arrange and describe archival collections, develop finding aids, and make recommendations regarding storage, conservation and preservation treatment of archival materials
* Perform circulation maintenance routines, such as check-in/check-out, shelve books and compile usage statistics.
* Assist and train patrons in the use of computers and software, A/V equipment, and copier.
* Assist with Interlibrary Loan tasks as needed.
* Assist with digitization/scanning projects.
* Learn cataloging procedures and assist in cataloging materials (or object collections) as needed.
* Assist with project work involving digital imaging, the ILS, and the Archives.
* Perform various daily administrative and technical tasks.
* Participate in student activities and field trips as scheduled.
* Be pursuing or have recently completed a Masters of Science in Library Science (MLS) or related equivalent.
* Be able and willing to work independently.
* Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to deal with people in a courteous, patient, and professional manner.
* Have physical ability to push fully-loaded book carts and handle heavy or oversize volumes. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
* Be willing to follow all of Longwood Gardens' policies and procedures.
* Have a valid driver's license.
The position extends throughout one full year, full time, 40 hours per week.
This is a paid position at a rate of $8.50/hour with optional free housing (a
taxable benefit) provided. Located in Kennett Square, PA, Longwood Gardens is
approximately 45 minutes southwest of Philadelphia.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5227/