Head of Web Services
The Ohio University Libraries seeks applications and nominations for an
innovative and collaborative professional to provide leadership and direction
as Head of Web Services. This recently formed department will bring vision and
expertise to planning, developing, implementing and maintaining robust web
technology supporting the Libraries' mission.
The successful candidate will be joining the Libraries at an exciting time
because a new strategic plan is underway, with its vision of the Libraries as
being a "dynamic gateway for the discovery, creation and exchange of
knowledge, which enables students, faculty and staff to realize their promise
and to achieve excellence."
Reporting to the Dean of Libraries, the Head of Web Services is the primary
planner for the Libraries' web development, its productivity tools and public
computing. The Head of Web services will work closely with staff to develop
responsive and progressive services and applications to match a rapidly
changing information landscape. In collaboration with other department heads,
this individual provides critical leadership for the planning, evaluation,
development and promotion of the Libraries' current and next generation of web
services and information systems.
The Head of Web Services serves as an adviser to the University Libraries'
senior management team as it pertains to the developments in information
technology, policy, security, management and resource needs. The Head directs
the assignments of a staff of three and represents the Libraries on campus and
at OhioLINK committees, as well as regional and national organizations.
Specifically, the Head of Web Services' departmental duties include:
• Collaborates with the Libraries' department heads to plan and implement
future web interfaces, technologies and innovations to the Web site, a
WordPress site, in order to ensure a dynamic, interactive and user-friendly
• Manages the Libraries' Innovative Interfaces Millennium integrated library
system, including regular system maintenance and performance improvements.
• Designs, operates and maintains specialized library systems, such as proxy
server and EBSCO Discovery service.
• Oversees innovation in the Libraries' mobile presence.
• Assists with the maintenance and implementation of CONTENTdm and Omeka, as
• Develops and maintains a productive, service-oriented staff by overseeing
and mentoring the supervision and training in the department, providing
oversight for personnel actions, and providing opportunities for educational
and experiential growth.
• Communicates complex technical issues effectively to a variety of
stakeholders; works closely with Ohio University's Office of Information
Technology to ensure effective, efficient and user-oriented services across
• Serves as the lead implementer for OhioLINK technology projects.
• Pursues and administers grant proposals for the Libraries' technology
• Engages in regular professional development through research, publications,
presentations and participation in regional and national associations as part
of the continuing commitment to bring best practices and innovative services
to Ohio University students and faculty.
• A Master's degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an ALA-
• An understanding of the role and the influence of networked scholarly
resources in meeting the diverse teaching, learning and research needs of a
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with web and content-management
systems, integrated library systems, discovery systems, computer hardware and
software, and network operating systems.
• Minimum three years of progressively responsible experience in a library
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with a commitment to
data-informed decision making processes.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to enable communication of complex technology
issues and strategies to a diverse community
• Successful supervisory experience.
• Experience administering an Innovative Interfaces Millennium integrated
• Experience developing and maintaining library proxy servers, link resolvers,
mobile applications, content management systems, and discovery services.
• Experience with open source and LAMP-based applications used in libraries
• Experience leading teams and fostering collaborative relationships.
• Experience writing and administering grants.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5069/