The University of Southern California (USC) Libraries seek a part-time
experienced Archival Projects Librarian tocontribute to the
Libraries' archival processing activities, primarily grant-funded projects.
This half-time contractposition requires a solid foundation
in best practices related to archival processing and national standards,
withdirect experience processing collections, creating
finding aids, and working with grant-funded projects.
Thesuccessful candidate is expected to be up to-date on
relevant archival and library trends and practices,
workcollegially across the university, and be able to apply
this knowledge to have a significant, positive impact on
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Reporting to the Archival & Metadata Librarian and working closely with the
Director of Grants and ResearchCommunications, the Archival
Projects Librarian will:
* Primary responsibility is to support archival processing of grant-funded projects
* Process, arrange, and describe archival collections in USC Libraries according to established librarypractices and procedures, as assigned
* Assist with management of grant projects and financial reporting.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S.
equivalent is typically required for alibrarian appointment
at USC; at least two years professional archival experience. In addition,
candidates must havedemonstrated:
* Formal training in archival theory and practice or relevant professional archival experience
* Experience processing and cataloging manuscript and archival collections
* Experience creating and maintaining online archival finding aids, including EAD encoding
* Experience obtaining and managing grant-funded projects
* Project management experience
* Familiarity with Archivists' Toolkit, DACS, MARC21 and LC cataloging standards
* Working knowledge of XML
* Working knowledge of data file formats and software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Access, andFilemaker Pro
* Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Desirable qualifications: More than two years professional archival
experience; and familiarity with preservationand
conservation standards for archival and manuscript collections.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5197/