This position is located in the Encyclopedia of Life (EOL) Secretariat,
National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), Smithsonian Institution. The
Director of Product Management (Product Manager) will work under the EOL
Executive Director and will develop and refine our product strategy, roadmap,
marketing strategy, marketing plans and business model.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in
"Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
May need to complete a Probationary Period
Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
* Serves as the project leader for overseeing the development of new or enhanced systems for the delivery of technical information by EOL staff and partners in several distributed locations around the world.
* Works with Working Group Leaders, Executive Director and other stakeholders to define the product strategy and roadmap for EOL, including the prioritizing of various possibilities.
* Develops product requirements and identifies roles of components in implementing them.
* Oversees planning, development, and maintenance of computer-based files used for storage and retrieval of biodiversity information of national and international scope.
* Identifies, evaluates, and selects information sources; identifies, evaluates, and directs selection of third-party technology providers and resources
Experience: One year of full-time experience at the GS-14 level that is close
or similar to the work of this job. The experience includes activities such as
planning, developing, and launching a global biodiversity informatics
database. Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be
considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be
sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume will be used to evaluate your experience, education, and/or
training that address the competencies below:
* Knowledge of an information specialty in product management processes to include current software development methodologies and new developments or theories in accessing, organizing, or dissemination information.
* Ability to define software solutions related to global biodiversity databases and their various key user audiences at the strategic level, and develop services and/or products for users that serve as agency standards or as models for other information organizations outside of the agency.
* Ability to make recommendations to change, interpret, or develop important or innovative information policies, programs, approaches, or analysis methods for use in solving a variety of problems or expanding services.
* Knowledge of biology.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one
of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category - Meets
the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related
competencies above. Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification
requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good
Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy
most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This
category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the
"rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of
non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make
selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no
preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference
eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or
3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification
requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at
least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when
the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade
level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs
system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be
considered for this position. Important Note: The review of your resume will
determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information
regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including
the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5279/