11405 - Section Manager, Library, Archives and Records Section
Will be the Section Manager of the Library, Archives and Records Section and
will report to the Manager of the Logistics and Technical Information
Division. Will be responsible for managing a team of 17 through 2 direct
reports. Will provide senior leadership and to provide vision and creativity
to advance the library, records and archives' technological, digital and
compliance programs; utilizing strong change management and partnership
Responsible for hiring and retaining a diverse, highly qualified staff, and
for providing career coaching, growth and personal development for direct
report JPL employees. Accountable for
the performance of employees or the work output of managed
subcontractors. Maintains a safe working
environment and a strong customer focus.
Responsible for continuous process improvement, setting goals and ensuring
that they are achieved. Uses best
industry practices to ensure success in areas of
responsibility. Ensures employee
awareness and compliance with Laboratory policies, procedures, and practices,
and regulatory requirements. Knows and
applies appropriate tools, processes, and procedures affecting organization of
• Provides management, direction and expertise to activities of the library,
archives and records section through managers that have responsibility for
results including costs, methods and/or staffing.
• Oversees activities of staff and authorizes all HR actions including hiring,
promotions, salary changes, skills and development training, performance
• Establishes organizational operating policies and procedures.
• Develops and communicates operating strategy based on organizational goals.
• Manages and leads the planning, design and implementation of specific
organization and/or Laboratory initiatives.
• Develops and oversees operating budget; advises management on financial
impact of new initiatives related to budgets
• Guides managers and/or leads in identifying effective solutions to meet
• Advises managers and/or staff members in resolving technical or operational
• Represents own organization on Laboratory committees.
• Establishes the institutional policies for managing records.
• Interfaces with NASA, NARA and FFRDC librarians, records managers and
archivists and leads professional associations on a national or international
• Partners with executive management and leadership councils to develop
information content for strategic planning activities.
• Partners with other laboratory organizations to facilitate creation and
management of information and records at JPL.
• Develops proposals and implements new information services.
• Develops and conducts regular assessment of Laboratory information science
needs and designs information services and resources based on expert knowledge
of Laboratory research needs.
• Oversees and facilitates special initiatives, software upgrades, audits,
Laboratory information management initiatives,
• Decisions impact functional or multifunctional organizations.
• Monitors activities to ensure compliance on schedule and within budget.
• Actions and decisions positively affect the success of the Laboratory due to
on-time, on-budget delivery.
• Faulty decisions or recommendations, or failure to achieve results, would
typically result in significant expenditure of additional time, human
resources and funds and may impact the short-term goals of the organization.
• Primary leadership position for the Library, Archives and Records Section
with specific personnel and discipline related institutional and programmatic
• Solutions require the frequent use of creativity and innovation.
• Works on issues of diverse scope requiring a solid understanding of current
• Frequently interacts with subordinate supervisors, customers and/or
functional peers involving matters between functional areas, and other
Laboratory organizations, customers and/or the Laboratory.
• Typically leads a cooperative effort among members of a team.
• Conducts briefings and technical meetings for internal and external
• Interactions normally involve collaboration among organizations and/or
• Typically requires a Bachelor's degree in Library and Information Science or
similar disciplines with a minimum of 12 years of related experience; or
Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 10 years of related
experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 8 years related
experience. Minimum of 4 years of supervisory and/or management experience.
• Multidisciplinary knowledge in information management with significant
expertise in one or more specialties.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience with line organizations.
• Knowledge of best industry practices in capturing, organizing, preserving
and dispositioning information, including information discovery and records
• Multidisciplinary and in-depth expertise regularly used in the application
and development of advanced principles, theories and concepts in all aspects
of information management.
• Has significant expertise in one or more related fields within the following
areas: library and information science, records management, archival studies,
taxonomy, engineering documentation.
• Has expert knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards
across a range of applications related to library and information science,
records management and/or archival systems, information protection and
engineering documentation repositories.
• Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and building strategic
• Change management skills.
• Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
• Strong technical skills
• Has expert knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies
and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
• Recognized Laboratory expert in information management
• Holds a Masters in Library and Information Science.
• Certified as a records manager by the Institute of Certified Records
• Certified as an archivist by the Academy of Certified Archivists.
• Experience with digital asset systems and preservation of digital media
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a
competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space
exploration, apply now!
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted
position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or
[log in to unmask]
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer devoted to work force diversity.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4855/