The Ohio State University Libraries invites applications and nominations for
the position of Head, Digital Initiativesto lead the
evolution of digital library services and collections that support the
research and teaching needs of theUniversity. The
successful candidate will work collaboratively and consultatively within the
Libraries' InformationTechnology Division, as well as
across other appropriate areas of the Libraries, to provide vision for, and
build, acohesive and extensible suite of discovery, access,
preservation, curation, security, repository, archival and
The Digital Initiatives program collaboratively develops strategies, and
plans, implements, and supports projects toadvance the
creation and integration of digital library services and digital collections
into the academic enterprise.Key partners in this endeavor
include the Libraries' digital repository, publishing, preservation and
reformatting,and special collections programs, as well as
other potential campus partners. This position reports to the
AssociateDirector for Information Technology, as part of a
division that provides web applications,
informationmanagement, discovery systems, and technical
infrastructure. This is a tenure track faculty position.
* Leads creation and articulation of an evolving digital initiatives environment in alignment with theLibraries' mission and strategic plan and with ongoing input from key stakeholders throughout theorganization.
* Guides the development and implementation of digital asset and data management strategies, policies,standards, and procedures that support discovery, access, management, storage, and preservation of theLibraries' digital assets and resources.
* Works collaboratively within the Libraries' Information Technology Division to articulate and implementan evolving technology services environment; actively participates in the design and development of thetechnical architecture for digital library applications, middleware, systems, and services.
* Works with appropriate staff to create, maintain and improve the Libraries' locally developed and hosteddigital services. Leads cross-divisional digital projects, expedites their completion, and createsdocumentation for project-related activities. Acts as a liaison for digitization and metadata projects withother teams within the Libraries and/or other campus groups.
* Transforms digital library initiatives through an iterative, data-informed, and test-driven process thatemphasizes performance, sustainability, and usability.
* Maintains in-depth knowledge in the identification, assessment, and implementation of trends and
* emerging technologies that strategically advance the Libraries' mission related to digital initiatives andonline scholarship.
* Engages in national and consortial efforts in the digital library domain, and seeks mutually beneficialpartnerships and collaborations with peer institutions and in the private sector.
* Works collegially with all personnel to achieve the Library's mission and strategic goals. Participatesactively in library-wide initiatives and serves on committees, project teams, and task forces.
* Contributes to developments in the field of digital librarianship through active professional engagementand research, presenting, and publishing in appropriate venues. ualifications
* ALA accredited MLS/MLIS degree or equivalent.
* Experience in managing digital projects/services and/or digital collections.
* Demonstrated ability to independently, as well as collaboratively, plan, coordinate, and implementeffective digital projects, including managing multiple and simultaneous projects.
* Demonstrated success in collaborative problem solving and working across organizational boundaries.
* Experience with current digital collection architectures, technologies, standards, platforms, and products.
* Knowledge and understanding of emergent and best practices, standards, issues and trends relating todigital initiatives in the library environment.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written.
* Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Ability to meet the requirements of promotion and tenure; commitment to professional development andservice.
* Minimum of three years professional experience in managing digital projects, digital services, and/ordigital collections in an academic or large public institution.
* Demonstrated ability to lead change, and identify and implement new technologies, services and work ability to learn and evaluate new technologies quickly.
* Competency in analysis, budgeting and planning, assessment and evaluation, and service management.
* Knowledge of the standards and technological framework for digital preservation.
* Demonstrated knowledge of current information technology standards and developments in libraries andhigher education.
* Working knowledge of, and experience with, a wide variety of media including text, music, still images,audio and video.
* Knowledge of data and metadata standards prevalent in libraries.
This is a full-time, permanent, 12-month tenure-track faculty appointment.
Salary and faculty rank are dependenton qualifications and
The University offers competitive benefits in the form of 22 days vacation, 15
days sick leave, 10 holidays,hospitalization, major
medical, surgical-medical, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, and
life insurance at2.5 times one's annual salary. State and
alternative retirement choices are also available. For a summary
ofbenefits, see: http://hr.osu.edu/hrpubs/ben/fs-
Nominations or applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Preference will be given to applicationsreceived by March
15, 2013. Please send letter of interest with a current resume and name,
address, phone, salaryrequirements and email address of
three references to Greg Newman at [log in to unmask] . Please
includeHead, Digital Initiatives Application in the subject
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5762/