Northwestern University is searching for someone who is looking for an exciting opportunity to work with the design, maintenance, and support of large-scale library server systems at a major university. This is a 3-year position (with the possibility of renewal) that focuses on our Linux/Unix ExLibris and non-ExLibris "enterprise" servers. Northwestern University is a private research university with campuses in Evanston and Chicago in Illinois, United States. See the condensed version of the Job Posting below and if interested, please follow the instruction below to visit and review the official job posting and to apply for the position.
Position: System Administrator Sr.
Position ID Number: 20505
To see or apply for this job, please click the link below:
Then, click the "External Applicants" link under the "Search for Jobs & Apply Now" label.
Click on "Advanced Search" link.
On the Job Search page, enter 20505 in the Job Opening ID box. Click Search button.
On the results page, Click the "Systems Administrator Sr." link.
Read the Job Description.
If you wish to apply, please click the APPLY NOW button, register if necessary and then fill out the application form.
If there any questions, please send them to me.
* please forward this to anyone who you know that might be interested.
Northwestern University Libraries
== SysAdmin Sr. Job Description == .
This is a condensed version (see official Job Posting for full version)==.
The Systems Administrator Senior serves as the University Library's lead computer systems administrator under the direct supervision of the Head of Enterprise Systems. Responsible for installation, configuration, maintenance and support of software, systems and related networking infrastructure on physical and virtual servers in the Library, NU Data Centers and in hosted environments; ensuring they adhere to standards, policies and procedures establish by the organization and vendors. This position acts as team leader on certain projects and functions as technical resource to other developers, system administrators and technical staff in the library and university. This is a 3-year position (with the possibility of renewal).
== Specific Responsibilities:
* Installs, rebuilds or migrates existing servers and configure hardware and virtual machines (VM), applications, peripherals, services, networking, storage, creates and maintains user accounts, security, permissions, and file systems in accordance with standards and operational requirements;
* Performs ongoing support and maintenance for library systems and related applications, including, but not limited to hardware/VM upgrades, networking, CPU, memory, and storage systems, performance tuning, monitoring, alerting and backing-up systems;
* Prioritizes, troubleshoots and resolves issues using Library and University ticketing systems;
* Coordinates and communicates ongoing technology needs with NU Information Technology (NUIT) and other technology units on campus;
* Monitors security alerts and working with other staff to ensure that appropriate patches are applied in an automated and timely fashion;
* Applies new operating software releases and patches as necessary;
* Works with staff, vendors and other collaborators provides hardware, software and networking solutions and technical specifications;
== Minimum Qualifications:
* A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
* Four to Five years of related professional experience;
* Strong knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems and networking standards, command line BSD/GNU tools, and scripting languages; maintaining web applications such as Apache, and basic database (MySQL or Oracle) administration.
* Demonstrated experience in managing physical and virtual server environments, Unix/Linux, related software, and basic system administration utilities, and networking standards.
== Preferred Qualifications:
* Applicable certifications, such as LPIC 2/3, RHCT, RHCSA, RHCE, BSDA, OCA, MCTS.