The University of Maryland, College Park Libraries seeks a flexible and
service-oriented individual for the position of Metadata Resource Management
and Discovery, Head; under the general direction of the Head, Metadata
Services Department. Key responsibilities include
supervising staff and librarians involved with the
cataloging/metadata workflows that support discovery and access of print and
electronic resources, as well as scheduling and
coordinating bulk loads of records and data; and planning
and execution of data maintenance projects (e.g. shelf ready products, library
holdings, mass transfers to storage facility). The
incumbent serves as the cataloging technical adviser to the Library User
Experience Group on the development and enhancement of the Libraries' online
resource discovery tools. This
responsibility will involve working across divisions to collaboratively
develop and coordinate the various cataloging/metadata related workflows that
facilitate ubiquitous access and discovery, and continuously evaluate the
Libraries' online resource discovery environment.
Successful candidates will be knowledgeable, innovative, result-oriented, and
strategically focused. They will possess excellent communication,
interpersonal, and team skills. Working both independently and collegially,
they will assist in leading the Libraries to create innovative services for
today's students and faculty and those of tomorrow.
* Master's degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited program or similar credentials.
* A minimum of three years professional cataloging/metadata experience in a library serving similar clientele.
* A minimum of two years supervisory experience with evidence of successful and innovative management and results-oriented operations. Demonstrated abilities to creatively work with library faculty, staff and others.
* Expert knowledge of the rules and practices in descriptive cataloging, authority control, subject headings assignment, and classification, as followed in U.S. academic libraries. Expert knowledge of the MARC21 standards.
* Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, production-oriented environment and the ability to adapt quickly and work under pressure to meet deadlines and production goals.
* Demonstrated ability to lead, train, and manage staff. Ability to lead a diverse group in a positive and constructive manner, and be able to mold such a group into an effective team.
Position is appointed to Librarian Faculty Ranks as established by the
University System of Maryland Board of Regents. Rank at appointment is based
on the successful applicant's experience and relevant credentials. For
additional information, consult the following website:
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6246/