The Media Management Specialist is required to have a full overview of all
incoming media, identifying problems and issues and escalating them if
necessary. They must possess a sound knowledge of server based environments
and must be fully conversant with all current video codecs.
They must also ensure that all incoming media into the department is treated
with due care and processed correctly with all associated metadata. This role
requires a detailed understanding of archiving processes, metadata and footage
rights. A solid knowledge of news and current affairs within a media
environment is required in order to assess content and process it into deep
archive. A high level of service and support to all clients is expected, as is
the ability to satisfy requests in a timely fashion.
The Media Management desk will also manage the SAN - this includes the
restoration of archived clips, using the deletion policy to maintain a healthy
percentage of server space, the pushing and pulling of content between our
broadcast centers and using the tools provided to foresee any technical
issues. In additional to this they also manage the transcode and delivery of
our content to other AJN channels, managing our FTP sites and the capture or
transcode of requested internet content.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. You will work closely with other team members and AJN (Al Jazeera) staff.
You will also actively support your co-workers when they need help.
2. You will have a comprehensive knowledge of a server based news environments
along with the associated hardware and software.
3. Acquisition of content: You will have a good understanding of the workflow,
process and tools utilized on the media desk. Using this knowledge you will
serve the needs of the newsroom and the programs department by making sure
content is clearly labeled and sent to the correct destination.
4. You will also be responsible for processing footage in to and out of the
5. Management of the SAN: You will have a good understanding of our deletion
policy to maintain a healthy
percentage of sever space, and in a time of crisis knowing what can be deleted
to free critical space.
6. Prioritizing restoration requests to avoid bottlenecks and bringing the
system to a standstill.
7. AJN content is required to be shared between the broadcast centers and
channels - you will need to identify and deliver this content to the other
broadcast centers using the inter-site transfer tools. Other channels will
request content to be transcoded and delivered using an FTP solution.
8. AJN's broadcast technical standards: You will have a technical
understanding of 'Quality Control' and the tools required to achieve this.
9. You will understand the requirement s of live studio production and provide
good service and support to all media operations clients.
10. You will be conversant with all current codecs as you will be required to
transcode and deliver various compressions; you will also need to keep up-to-
date with any advances/changes in technology.
11. Effective Communication: Able to recognize problems
early and not hesitate to communicate them to the concerned person(s).
12. Communicating Ideas: Able to offer better solutions
utilizing the tools that media operations has available to them.
13. Newsroom system: Able to navigate and possess a solid operational
knowledge of how a news bulletin is formatted.
1. You may be required to travel to assist in times of crisis.
2. Perform other duties relevant to the job as requested.
High School education or higher.
An understanding of news and current affairs and an eye for detail.
Technical ability within a broadcast environment.
A demonstrable understanding video formats, servers, FTP and broadcast
Fluent English speaker and able to communicate effectively both verbally and
Able to deal with competing demands and remain calm under pressure.
A good knowledge of video editing tools
Operational knowledge of Avid Interplay
Familiarity of digital tape/disc formats
An excellent knowledge of cataloguing and assigning keywords for content
Server production systems
Broadcast production workflow
Have a firm understanding of broadcast technical standards
Possess a sound knowledge with current codecs and the tools required to view
Able to work independently and as part of a team
Able to work in a stressful and fast paced News environment
Able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Able to work in a 24/7 shift base environment
A good level of interpersonal skills
Ability to work well with others in a collaborative environment or as an
Able to multi-task
Organised and punctual
Al Jazeera ethics and code of conduct
Al Jazeera editorial spirit
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6320/