The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation (SRGF) is seeking an Associate Web
Developer who will work under the supervision of the Interactive Project
Manager to maintain, extend, and enhance the museum Web site, through both
adding functionality and optimizing existing code. The Associate Web Developer
will collaborate with internal and external Developers to ensure consistency
and best practices. This position works on multiple projects concurrently,
ranging from maintenance to new functionality, and enjoys collaborating with
other roles within the department and with non-Interactive department users.
Also works closely with Information Technology staff to identify server and
software needs and ensure the integrity of enterprise systems data displayed
on the site. The ideal candidate for this position thrives on a sense of
ownership and takes pride in producing simple, elegant, and compliant
solutions from definition through QA.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to
promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other
manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary
periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions,
education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim
strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience
through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three
million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of
the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
• Own front- and backend website development and maintenance for WordPress,
collaborating closely with internal and external developers.
• Support Guggenheim's lead developer on front- and backend code for our
Joomla Content Management System, including bug resolution and general
• Understand departmental and institutional needs in order to develop new
applications and customize existing applications for the website and
• Collaborate with Interactive Project Manager(s), Designer(s), and Editor(s)
to define user interaction, functionality, and system requirements for
enhancing and building features.
• Serve as in-house expert on Web development trends and best practices (for
technologies both within and beyond core competencies) such as current CSS and
• Accountable for meeting development deadlines as well as estimating and
planning all development timelines in collaboration with Interactive Project
• Collaborate with Web Systems Administrator (IT) to identify server and LAMP
software needs and to maintain existing technology connections to 3rd party
systems/enterprise applications within the CMS environment (Net Community, The
• Expand documentation of Web site development and content administration.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• A minimum of 3 years of experience in the field.
• Demonstrated open-source expertise developing and configuring content
management systems, including a deep and practical understanding of MVC
frameworks; experience with WordPress and Joomla strongly preferred.
• Working knowledge of Git and GitHub
a solid understanding of cross-browser/platform issues, standards of
compliance, and XHTML best practices. Experience with Ruby and Python a plus.
• Fluency with PHP 5.x and MySQL
• Working knowledge of using APIs to extend functionality, mobile websites,
audio/video for web, and other web-related technologies.
• Passion for developing simple, elegant, compliant code and solving problems
both within and beyond core competencies.
• Working knowledge of Apache and Linux, and project management/collaboration
• A self-starter who demonstrates a high sense of ownership and can work
independently, provides accurate work estimates, and manages development
timelines across multiple projects.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills in order to interface with
various departments and management levels, technical and non-technical staff.
• Experience in creating documentation of technical systems and training users
in complex topics.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental,
life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous
vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural
institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including
salary expectations, to [log in to unmask] Indicate the job title
"Associate Web Developer" in the subject line. Only those applicants who meet
our requirements for this position will be contacted.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6500/