Reporting to the Director of Information Technology at the Yale University Art
Gallery, the Data and Database Specialist develops, implements, and maintains
policies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of the
Gallery's collection database while actively ensuring adherence to data
standards across the Gallery environment. Using highly developed SQL skills,
implements data models, database designs, resolves database performance and
capacity issues. Serves as primary resource for a wide-range of museum staff
members and departments that use TMS (The Museum System), the collections
management database used by the Gallery. Manages the technical and procedural
responsibilities to advance the strategic plan for development and future use,
and support the ongoing use and maintenance of TMS.
1. Coordinates the planning and development of new, complex relational
2. Ensures adherence to data standards across the University environment.
3. Develops and documents database procedures and policies and resolves
complex protocol deviations in existing databases.
4. Maintains and administers database systems to ensure effective
implementation and use of databases including software testing, debugging, and
data quality assurance projects.
5. Implements technical solutions including installation, configuration, and
resolution of issues with multiple layers of products and technologies.
6. Works directly with University departments to troubleshoot problems, create
reports, identify and resolve technical issues. Communicates directly with
staff to understand goals and solve user problems.
7. Documents end user's experience, and develops methodologies and assessment
techniques that address usability goals.
8. Provides training on database, appropriate use and facilitates user groups.
9. Performs various coding, debugging and unit testing tasks in support of
10. Assists in evaluating University business and administrative processes and
needs and develops solutions to technical problems.
11. Assists in developing and implementing database security procedures,
including access authorization, logins, and permissions.
12. Applies current programming standards and methodologies to all relevant
projects and activities.
13. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and five years of related work experience
or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to
work independently as well as a member of a team.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Advanced knowledge and proven ability in database
management (Microsoft SQL and SQL based tools).
Required Skill/Ability 3: Knowledge of data standards and formats for
description, presentation, and transmission.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
TMS (Gallery Systems) experience and Crystal Reports or similar report writing
tool; Experience working in Museum setting; Experience with HTML/XML and Java
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6511/