Our employees help Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most
livable cities. We are one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers,
Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and Best Employers for New Canadians.
Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020. You
too can make a difference by applying for the following opportunity.
Position Start Date
March 18, 2013
Position End Date
September 11, 2013
Annual salary of $84,938 to $106,177
Main Purpose & Function
Currently there are two City of Vancouver departments performing similar
activities related to archival records. These departments are the Vancouver
Public Library's (VPL) Special Collections department and City of Vancouver
Archives, a division of the City Clerk's Department. The Project Manager will
review the activities, processes and locations of the two departments and
write a business case and make recommendations about how to deliver the
services in the future. The Project Manager will implement the approved
recommendations. The Project Manager manages all phases of the projects
including planning, execution, control and closeout. The Project manager in
this role will provide senior management with objective and comprehensive
business and process analysis of the project, staffing and service, and
provide recommendations based on the analysis performed. The Project Manager
has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes
in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on operational areas as
well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions or
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Manages all aspect of complex, cross-department projects:
- Manages project teams to successfully deliver projects. Assigns work to project team members, specifying deliverables, timelines and quality expectations. Monitors performance of project team members and takes corrective actions if required. Coaches and mentors team members.
- Plans projects in detail, clearly identifying project scope, budget and schedule as well as project risks, project organization and project management approach. Participates in confidential planning that may have City-wide operational and financial implications. Documents the plans in a Project Plan document. Regularly reviews the Project Plan with the Project Sponsor, Director and project team for approval/sign-off.
- Executes projects according to approved project plans.
- Organizes and leads meetings with project team, stakeholders and vendors as needed and manages actions arising from them.
- Facilitates stakeholder inputs to arrive at optimum solution.
- Identifies and proactively manages project issues and risks. Manages project costs to approved budget.
- Ensures that project performance meets expectations in terms of timelines and scope completion.
- Implements adequate internal controls for reporting to senior Management.
- Conducts regular project status meetings with project team members.
- Regularly reports on project status to Project Manager, VSR Director, PMO, Project Sponsor and/or Project Steering Committee.
- Develops business case for the project working with Business and Financial Analyst
- Working with Business and Financial Analyst, conducts review of departmental budgets, operations and processes to identify costs and opportunities associated with implementing business case
- Ensures proper project closeout at completion. Manages the sign-off process for project deliverables from stakeholders. Conducts post-project evaluation process and recommends changes for future projects. Documents and presents a project closeout analysis.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors' degree in Business Administration or project-related discipline.
- Formal training in Project Management methodologies preferably consistent with those provided by PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred but not required.
- A minimum of three years of Project Management experience in increasingly complex projects.
- Knowledge of the City of Vancouver is an asset.
- Experience in managing teams.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management methodologies, processes, standards and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to apply Project Management methodologies to projects for successful completion.
- Ability to write effectively, organize and maintain project documentation, prepare status reports and summaries.
- Ability to speak effectively in public through formal and informal meetings and presentations.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to manage large work loads and multitask effectively.
- Ability to manage projects crossing multiple departments, multiple business processes and multiple stakeholder groups.
- Ability to organize, co-ordinate and manage people to achieve project goals.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in assigning and supervising work of project team members.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with technical and professional staff, as well as customer departments.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems and take decisions or make recommendations based upon thorough analysis of facts.
- Ability to focus on details, while maintaining a balanced high-level view of an assignment.
- Ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support from both customers and team members.
- Ability to resolve conflicts arising within the project team or in interactions with customers in the most advantageous manner to all parties involved.
- Ability to manage change and assist others with adapting to change.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for
an interview will be contacted.
City of Vancouver is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6551/